What would you make?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
W.Pastuch

What would you make?

Post by W.Pastuch »

As I sat there carving a way too complicated mouthpiece shape for my next pipe, a question came to my head... I thought posting it here would be fun, also because answering this question can be actually quite important for developing your own, personal approach to pipemaking, especially for new carvers.

So, if you had infinite pipemaking skills- think Bo Nordh, all the Ivarssons and Misha Revyagin combined- and access to the best possible materials, what kind of pipes would you carve?
Obviously it's hard to answer, but it might provoke some thought and be fun to think about. Lengthy explanations and pics from other makers are all welcome :wink:

Allright, back to that damned mouthpiece...
Ocelot55

Re: What would you make?

Post by Ocelot55 »

A straight billiard. Not joking.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Ocelot55 wrote:A straight billiard. Not joking.
If I had skills like that, I would also carve a straight billiard. Freehand. 8)

Then whatever else I wanted.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

keilwerth wrote:
So, if you had infinite pipemaking skills... what kind of pipes would you carve?
I don't understand the question.

If you have the tools and materials, what skills do you not posses that would keep you from making anything you could imagine? Patience and dedication are the most difficult. Have you developed those yet?
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

WCannoy wrote:
keilwerth wrote:
So, if you had infinite pipemaking skills... what kind of pipes would you carve?
I don't understand the question.

If you have the tools and materials, what skills do you not posses that would keep you from making anything you could imagine? Patience and dedication are the most difficult. Have you developed those yet?
Now, Walt, I understand that most people here are from the right side of the bell curve, but some of us (like Yeti....and probably me :lol: ) are just not capable of "seeing" how to make a pipe correctly, or at least when it comes to the nitty gritty details.
Yak

Post by Yak »

Deleted as irrelevant.
Last edited by Yak on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Ocelot55 wrote:
Now, Walt, I understand that most people here are from the right side of the bell curve, but some of us (like Yeti....and probably me :lol: ) are just not capable of "seeing" how to make a pipe correctly, or at least when it comes to the nitty gritty details.
To me, that becomes a matter of taste, of aesthetics. I don't know that that is a "skill" to be learned. IMO, most of getting the aesthetics right falls under "patience and dedication". Taking the time to step back and look at your lines, shape... holding the pipe up to see the silhouette, carefully considering the balance and all aspects of composition. Don't tell me you can't see when something is not right. I know you can. But do you have the patience and dedication to change it?
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Walt, I know what you mean, and I'm aware that from that perspective the question is futile. I fully realize patience and dedication are really the only things you need, but what I was thinking about was a more humorous and practical aspect of this - many pepole here might at one point think- wow, this block is perfect for a nice blowfish with concave panels, but I cannot really see it in my head, nor do I know where to start and how to complete such a shape, so I'm gonna make an apple.

But as I said, this should be mostly directed to carvers who haven't mastered all the skills one needs to fully express one's imagination.

This could maybe be rephrased as: what's in your imagination that you would like to make, but cannot because of lack of skill, lack of experience, lack of whatever.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Yak wrote:Hypothetical questions like that one don't hinge on current limitations.

They're posed to take limitations out of consideration entirely.
In that case, I would make a pipe that uses quantum entanglement to teleport the smoke from the bottom of the remotely located tobacco chamber to the mouthpiece that I would keep in my shirt pocket. A separate mouthpiece would teleport the exhaled smoke to a remote location. That way, I could enjoy my pipe anywhere, indoors or out, on a plane, in a museum, whatever...

I could also sync my bowl with other users around the world to remotely sample new exotic tobaccos, and return the favor as well!

:D
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

keilwerth wrote:Walt, I know what you mean, and I'm aware that from that perspective the question is futile. I fully realize patience and dedication are really the only things you need, but what I was thinking about was a more humorous and practical aspect of this - many pepole here might at one point think- wow, this block is perfect for a nice blowfish with concave panels, but I cannot really see it in my head, nor do I know where to start and how to complete such a shape, so I'm gonna make an apple.

But as I said, this should be mostly directed to carvers who haven't mastered all the skills one needs to fully express one's imagination.

This could maybe be rephrased as: what's in your imagination that you would like to make, but cannot because of lack of skill, lack of experience, lack of whatever.
I understand. I just like to encourage folks to try something new every once in a while... and sometimes I just like to stir the shit. :lol:

But mostly, I don't like to dwell on being burdened by limitations, even when they are real. The thought of limitations is a cancer to the creative process. I feel that your original question reinforces the idea a person can not in fact make anything they want to. I say, shit, give it a shot!
Yak

Post by Yak »

Deleted as irrelevant.
Last edited by Yak on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Yak wrote:? ? ?

More people than just me have noticed that smoking in pitch darkness is a disappointing experience. There is something about seeing the smoke along with tasting it (and smelling -- teleportation would knock that out too) that completes the picture.

Might it possibly be that way for you too ? I wouldn't be surprised if it were, on trial.
Breakin' my balls, Yak...

:lol:
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

A bowl that refills itself automatically to what ever I desire to smoke? Possibly using pocket dimensions or voodoo or something I guess and it would look like a ball off 1000 beautiful naked ladies crawling all over each other. Also they would sing me to sleep and annihilate my enemies, and buy me stuff, and manipulate the universe so I always get a really good parking space, and um what ever I can think of later.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ocyd wrote:A bowl that refills itself automatically to what ever I desire to smoke? Possibly using pocket dimensions or voodoo or something I guess and it would look like a ball off 1000 beautiful naked ladies crawling all over each other. Also they would sing me to sleep and annihilate my enemies, and buy me stuff, and manipulate the universe so I always get a really good parking space, and um what ever I can think of later.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

If I were a technical master??? A straight billiard, no questions.

And no, I don't dwell on my limitations (or lack of money if you want to go that route) but it doesn't hurt to keep in front of you that you really should probably wait to make that blowfish (or whatever) until you can make a pipe that looks like a pipe and smokes well :wink:

I have been making a straight billiard every other pipe because I think it really does help me develope every part of my abilities to make a great pipe.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like Walt's idea. I would add that I would make each one with perfect straight grain in a smooth finish. :D
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

WCannoy wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:
To me, that becomes a matter of taste, of aesthetics. I don't know that that is a "skill" to be learned. IMO, most of getting the aesthetics right falls under "patience and dedication". Taking the time to step back and look at your lines, shape... holding the pipe up to see the silhouette, carefully considering the balance and all aspects of composition. Don't tell me you can't see when something is not right. I know you can. But do you have the patience and dedication to change it?
I disagree. I've seen too many pipes with too many issues handed to me by proud pipe makers to believe this anymore. I think many people just cannot see, and looking more and with patience doesn't seem to help them.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Tyler wrote:
WCannoy wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:
I disagree. I've seen too many pipes with too many issues handed to me by proud pipe makers to believe this anymore. I think many people just cannot see, and looking more and with patience doesn't seem to help them.
I have seen it go both ways. I have seen the makers that came around after something in their mind clicked and they "Saw it" through studying other pipes and taking more time to work. I have also seen some makers continue to year after year make ugly non-functioning pieces of shit that they are super proud of and think they are masterfully shaped, and tell me they do not agree with me after asking for my critique and that are priced at $300+, and they will stand by their work as professional masterpieces. (sorry for the mini-rant sentence)

And to reply to the OP - I would make what I make, because I do have infinite pipemaking skillz! I think most pipe makers that study and practice extensively are capable of making anything the guys you listed make. For example: Tim West. Tim makes very affordable functional pipes that are attractive to most people. They may not be drilled perfectly or shaped precisely or are a Ramses, blowfish, reverse calabash bee etc.., but if he wanted to, he is very capable of doing it in probably less time than any of us that participate on this forum could do. It is somewhat of a choice to make what you want to make once you have acquired the skills. Now creativity in design is a whole other thing. I got no skillz when it comes to that, but I can make a good BiLLard.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Growley

Post by Growley »

Yak wrote:? ? ?

More people than just me have noticed that smoking in pitch darkness is a disappointing experience. There is something about seeing the smoke along with tasting it (and smelling -- teleportation would knock that out too) that completes the picture.

Might it possibly be that way for you too ? I wouldn't be surprised if it were, on trial.
I totally agree with that. I'm sitting here in the dark but in front of my bright computer, where I can see every little vapor. I realized before even seeing this post that I've been marveling at how exhaling through my nose while pushing the smoke out my mouth produces a really cool swirling effect. I've also been smoking very cool seeing how I'm not working too hard to see the smoke!

I know I'm off topic.

If I could make whatever I wanted, I'd just make two of everything TJ has made in the last 5 or so years and try to retire, LOL. I jest because I really don't know what I'd make. I tend to wish I could do what Alex Florov does, can't pinpoint a particular single pipe.
Yak

Post by Yak »

Deleted as irrelevant.
Last edited by Yak on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.