New York Show Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jeff

New York Show Pipes

Post by jeff »

Hey guys,

I just returned from the NY Pipe Show last night. What a great show. Tons of people milled about the room looking at the fantastic pipes that were available. As always, I had my camera, but didn't take many photos. Here are some photos of some pipes that I thought you all might be interested in seeing. First (of course) are my pipes in their bullet-proof protective case before leaving my room to head to the show.

Now for the big dogs. The first photo here is the father/daughter duo of the Ivarssons. The top piece is Nanna and the lower one is Lars. Beautiful pipes, both of them.

And now the biggest of the big dogs, so to speak. Bo Nordh. These are the most expensive pipes that I have ever held. Per (of Scand Pipes) was selling the smooth Iron on the top for $6500 and and bottom blasted acorn for $3500. Were they worth these prices? I don't know, I couldn't afford them to tell you, but they sure looked nice. :)

I know I only took 3 pictures, but at least 2 of them were doozies! :)

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Jeff, how'd you do with your own sales?
JMB

Post by JMB »

Jeff,
Those pipes hurt my pocket book just looking at them in pic's. In person I don't know what I would do. Sit down and cry I guess.
Come on lotto, daddy wants one of those.
jeff

Post by jeff »

bscofield wrote:Jeff, how'd you do with your own sales?
Ben,

I sold 2 at the show (middle and left-middle) and one last night (right middle).

JG
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very cool pics buddy. Glad to ear you had a nice show.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff wrote:
bscofield wrote:Jeff, how'd you do with your own sales?
Ben,

I sold 2 at the show (middle and left-middle) and one last night (right middle).

JG
Cool! I trust you at least paid for the show itself?
jeff

Post by jeff »

bscofield wrote:Cool! I trust you at least paid for the show itself?
Whaaa?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

er, I mean your expenses in going to the show... :)
jeff

Post by jeff »

Ben,

Yes, expenses were minor in comparison to sales.

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I didn't know you lived in New Jersey until I looked over at the info on the left side of the posts...

What is that new pipe you have as your avatar?
jeff

Post by jeff »

Yup, I'm about 45 min. south of the Newark show location. That pipe is a new one that sold at the show on Saturday. It was a great piece of wood, but difficult to work. It's the middle left piece in my case.

Jeff
marks

Post by marks »

Jeff, you are doing some fine work. Hope to see you and your pipes in Richmond again this year.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks Mark. Are you coming to Chicago this year? If not, I might indeed see you in Richmond!

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hermit tobacco just posted their photos of the NY show. Here's a photo of me talking w/ Premal of Smoker's Haven. He is the proud owner of the Elephant's Foot.

Okay, okay. I know this isn't a "pipe" photo, but its somewhat relavent to the topic already and it has pipes in it! :)

Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool Jeff! I hope I get to see your pipe tonight whenI go into work! Premal better bring it!
marks

Post by marks »

jeff wrote:Thanks Mark. Are you coming to Chicago this year? If not, I might indeed see you in Richmond!

Jeff
I'm not going to make it to Chicago. Since I am selling pipes through a retailer now, I will typically go where he goes. The two exceptions are Richmond and Raleigh (although I think he is planning on going to both of those). Both of these shows are easy drives for me, and with Richmond, I typically stay at my parents house, and get a quick visit in with them as well.

Plus, I have a lot of friends that I usually only get to see at Richmond, so I always try to go there (been going to Richmond off and on since the late 80's). Hope to see you there.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Mark,

Do you sell through them exclusively? You don't sell any on your own at this point?

I will indeed see you in Richmond if I make it!

JG
marks

Post by marks »

As of January 2005, I sell through the Pipe and Pint exclusively. The owner, Larry Christopher, is a terrifically nice guy, and it is a pleasure doing business with him. I make ten or less pipes per year, so there is really no room for on my own sales. (By the way, an article on the Pipe and Pint appeared in P&T magazine several years ago.) Larry has a very brisk business, and most days the shop is full of customers throughout the day. Saturdays are particularly busy, with people coming many miles to hang out at the shop. Most days you have to get there early to get a seat in one of the leather couches or chairs.

However, I do plan on making one pipe as a gift for a friend this year, and I will probably keep at least one pipe a year for me, sort of my own personal collection of my work.

Hope you make it to Richmond. If you do, I look forward to seeing your pipes again and chatting with you.