newest creation

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jthpipes

newest creation

Post by jthpipes »

Used cocobolo on the shank. what does everybody think...
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very cool buddy!

Nice transition. The fat shank and slim stem are an interesting touch. To my tastes, the shank might be a bit too fat, but its hard to gauge that in a pic.

Nice pipe.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

John,

That is a very sweet pipe. I really like the cocobolo. Nice staining and beautiful grain on the stummel.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

Love it. The"flame" on the front reminds me of the way we use to "flame" the sides of our 50's cars. O to be young again.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jthpipes, how did you do the transition? Did you countersink the cocobolo and then sand down the briar and epoxy it into the cocobolo?
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

I drilled hole in the cocobolo and then chucked the briar iin my lathe to make a tenon. a little epoxy and clamp and it was good to go. I then used a forstner bit to counter sink the end of the shank a bit so the stem sits inside the cocobolo. I hope you understand my ramblings :think:
marks

Post by marks »

You did a very nice job on that pipe. Not sure about the fat shank (personal opinion), but the extention on the shank, the shank bowl transition, finish, shape, etc look great. The coloring of the briar versus the cocobolo look great to me as well.