vulcanite supplier

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
mcgregorpipes

vulcanite supplier

Post by mcgregorpipes »

anyone know where to find a supplier for bulk vulcanite stems? I can get a good deal from PME on their specials and inventory clear out, for eg catalog 407 is a 2 1/2" saddle about 0.675 width. perfect size for this shape I'm making, problem is it's apparently only available on clear out and whom ever was making them discontinued. would prefer to keep the stem the same for lots of copies of this shape. Need a reliable source to get more was hoping to find contact for supplier who casts similar stem or distributor etc. North America or Europe ok.
RadDavis

Re: vulcanite supplier

Post by RadDavis »

You might try Mark Tinsky. He carries Guidici stems.

Rad
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

I'm pretty sure Tim West at http://www.jhlowe.com/ has Guidici stems also... at least he used to. I don't know who has better prices.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

If you're willing to buy by either the kilo or 100 pack, I can include a batch in my order with Giudici which is taking place this week. I'll email you the PDF of the Giudici catalog for reference
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

was thinking about dealing with a manufacturer for a bulk buy, what are the options? I like Giudici's catalog, is there anyone else?
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

so giudici is really the only company still making vulcanite stems? Google doesn't bring up much on this. was hoping to find some shorter (and cheaper) stems than what's in their catalog for small modest pipes. I have a small frasising setup for my fruitwood pipes and distribution so want to keep product looking the same, PME specials have been a great source though it appears that old mystery stock is just about all gone.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I've spent a great deal of time sourcing out different products and I think Giudici is the only manufacter. There is always the missouri meerschaum stems which are $0.50 USD retail, probably half that for wholesale. Their minimum order is $100 for wholesale accounts. I may be placing an order with them early next year if you need less than $100 worth.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

Vermont Freehand wrote:I've spent a great deal of time sourcing out different products and I think Giudici is the only manufacter. There is always the missouri meerschaum stems which are $0.50 USD retail, probably half that for wholesale. Their minimum order is $100 for wholesale accounts. I may be placing an order with them early next year if you need less than $100 worth.
Thanks going to consider them I had a look at a few of their pipes last night at the warehouse and took one of the filtered stems out, seems maybe a little thin for what I need, tenon is maybe 1/4" an fits a thin filter. Think it's a black plastic injection mould.. website says they sell 3000 pipes a day, very interesting how a cobb is made sort f like someone did it with a hand drill and a pocket knife. ;) they want .40 ws for all the styles of their pipe "bits"
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

On another note I've been researching vulcanization and different methods for casting vulcanized rubber, found out making ebonite has been around since the 1800s. didn't know bowling balls are ebonite. I would like a bulk supply of stems for a line of simple cherrywood pipes like what ropp did. looking at the museum photos ropp had a setup for casting vulcanite that looked doable, and it was cool to see how they would even mould a bend in the stem if required. I can justify a small production setup just for my own stuff, so will probably be investing some time to try it out. seems like it could be about as complicated as casting acrylic. like in between making beer and mad science. and then I binge watched all the seasons of breaking bad and Walter was inspirational. if anyone has tried this, casting vulcanite I mean, would be interested to know how it went.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've never tried it but seeing how much difficulty larger scale producers have had getting it right I would say don't waste your time or money. It appears that getting the right amount of heat and pressure to remove all the air bubbles is a real pain in the butt. Not to mention the right amount of sulphur and other ingredients.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com