Asymmetrical Thingy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Asymmetrical Thingy

Post by Alden »

This was a first for me. Hard to capture in pics....
wdteipen

Re: Asymmetrical Thingy

Post by wdteipen »

This one is a pretty big departure from your usual style. It looks technically well done for the most part. For me though, the design doesn't really work but that may just be subjective. There's a whole lot going on with this pipe and in my opinion a bit too much. Objectively speaking, the stem could use a little diet. It's a bit thick for the overall design. You're improving in leaps and bounds.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I'm just some schmuck but, I like it for it's out of the box design and flowing lines.
To me it looks like it was designed for a right hander but, that's okay.
rdpipes.briar.club
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I agree with wayne. Stem needs a diet. Now you have to make a left handed one.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Here's another observation: the offset shank and extension face is interesting; however, it would work better if it were parallel to another line on the pipe. The back (front to most of you schmucks) of the bowl for example.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

To be a contrarian, I love it, absolutely utterly love it. The only thing I would say is that the stem could lose some weight, but I just love this sort of pipe, really takes thought to drill, carve, make work.

And you did a great job!
Alden

Post by Alden »

wdteipen wrote:Here's another observation: the offset shank and extension face is interesting; however, it would work better if it were parallel to another line on the pipe. The back (front to most of you schmucks) of the bowl for example.
Excellent point on the shank/back of the bowl. This is actually a ripoff of someone elses pipe, I don't even know who. Customer just sent a picture and said make me this :D
Now that I have seen how the drilling works, I plan to expand on the asymmetrical designs, there is so much for potential for craziness.
Appreciate the comments guys.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I like it.

Stem is too thick, and the angle of the stem doesn't fit with the shank - it's too high. I *personally* think the bowl needs something else to keep it interesting. But I think it's a great pipe. You've done a lot of good things here.
bornagainbriar

Post by bornagainbriar »

I completely understand Wayne's critiques, but I too like that it is outside the box, and no not mind so much the 'fatness' of the shank. Perhapos it is th beginning of a new style. You'll have to name it...
Thumbs up from me.
"A pipe is a good thing for all men. For wise men, it gives them time to think and ponder. For a fool, it gives him something to shove in his mouth." - Unknown...