I have 1.5 windows!!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
billiard

I have 1.5 windows!!!!

Post by billiard »

Ok, I know this is truly stupid, but I'm a hermit and got no one really to tell this to, and it's like the greatest thing since sliced bread in my little world, so I am gonna share it here anyhow dagnabbit!

I'm a computer jockey and spend about 10-11 hours a day in front of my systems within my home office. My home office is basically a framed building inside a very old detached one car garage. When we moved into this place last year, the garage was full of garbage, had no electricity, and parts were falling off. The Windows long boarded over, there were actually boards over the old boards! The other part of the garage is my shop.

So add my pipe making time to my office time and when I am not with the family I have spent the majority of the past year inside a very dark and depressing shop.

Earlier today I decided to take all the boards off the big old heavy wood door to the shop and see if maybe I could get some plexiglass and cover the hole and make me a window. Well guess what? There was a pristine, unbroken, very old and lovely frosted glass window in the door! It's like 2' X 3' and just shines a ton of lovely light into my shop!

So I got all motivated and tore down all the boards to the other window in the garage which points into my back yard. It's actually in my office (in the garage). No glass but a very old and cool looking, working, window. $50 from Home Depot later and I just finished replacing the panes with Acrylic and I have a very big bright window in my office, and in the shop a big bright frosted glass window.

Stupid I know, but huge to me, sitting in the dark work environment for a year really affected my mental health. This is just wonderful.

Ok, laugh at me, ignore me, whatever but I tell ya all I got 1.5 windows! I can even open my office one up and let air in if I want. I'm like a kid at Christmas!

Thanks if anyone read my blabber,
Bill

PS - before anyone asks: the garage door opens right into a busy street, bad juju leaving it open.

PPS - yes, now maybe I can see what the hell I am doing and make better pipes :twisted:
UncleDraken

Re: I have 1.5 windows!!!!

Post by UncleDraken »

I read your blabber ;)

Congrats on your new found vitamin D!
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
billiard

Post by billiard »

UncleDraken wrote:I read your blabber ;)

Congrats on your new found vitamin D!
Thank ye sir :)
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Me too, and I'm jealous. My shop is in the unfinished part of my basement, no windows, concrete walls.

For some reason my family is objecting to me moving it out into the main, finished area where there are plenty of windows!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I've got one big window and a doorway without a door!

Does that count?

Congrats on the windows. I find the one I have to be an indispensable part of my "shop."
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
billiard

Post by billiard »

wmolaw wrote:Me too, and I'm jealous. My shop is in the unfinished part of my basement, no windows, concrete walls.

For some reason my family is objecting to me moving it out into the main, finished area where there are plenty of windows!
On the plus side though it is probably fairly close to the same temp in a basement all year :)
UberHuberMan wrote:I've got one big window and a doorway without a door!

Does that count?

Congrats on the windows. I find the one I have to be an indispensable part of my "shop."
I think that counts as 1.5 windows the same as me :D

Seriously though "indispensable" sounds accurate to me, it's a shocking difference.

Thanks,
Bill
Nate

Post by Nate »

WIN!
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

I feel for you guys stuck in a basement or any place without windows. I can open the garage door and watch the world go around.
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Congrats on the new to you anyway holes in your wall.
Rodney