Two questions about an estate

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
maddis

Two questions about an estate

Post by maddis »

I'd put this under pipes, but my questions are about construction. This is a beautifully shaped pipe with a very long bamboo shank. The stem has a metal tenon but the bamboo has no insert to support the mortise. Is this something to be concerned about? Also, the bowl is almost perfectly flat on the bottom, and the airway comes up at an angle toward the center of the bowl. It passes a cleaner fine but I've never seen a bowl drilled like this. As I said, the pipe is beautifully done from an aesthetic standpoint - I just want to make sure it's functionally going to be OK. It's never been smoked.

Thoughts??
LatakiaLover

Re: Two questions about an estate

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sounds like a pipe-shaped object made by one of those "visual artist/woodworker" guys who doesn't understand that pipes must work first, or nothing else matters.

I've been seeing a fair amont of such stuff lately, since the Internet has made it clear how easy it is to become Rich & Famous making pipe-shaped objects.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
maddis

Post by maddis »

[quote="LatakiaLover"]Sounds like a pipe-shaped object made by one of those "visual artist/woodworker" guys who doesn't understand that pipes must work first, or nothing else matters.

I've been seeing a fair amont of such stuff lately, since the Internet has made it clear how easy it is to become Rich & Famous making pipe-shaped objects.[/quote

I know what you're talking about, but this isn't that. The maker mentored under an established maker and the shape has definite pipe sensibilities to it. The button is done very well, as is the slot. And despite being 8.5" long, it's rather delicate in hand.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

maddis wrote: I know what you're talking about, but this isn't that. The maker mentored under an established maker and the shape has definite pipe sensibilities to it. The button is done very well, as is the slot. And despite being 8.5" long, it's rather delicate in hand.
Ah. A product of the Art Carver sub-species that likes to re-invent things before understanding what it is they are "improving," then.

In some ways those creatures are more vexing than the, "It's great as long as it looks pretty" ones. After all, hundreds of millions of man-years of real-world experience has no value in determining what works and what doesn't, right?

Give me strength. :banghead:
the rev

Post by the rev »

I agree, we should all still be smoking clay pipes

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

the rev wrote:I agree, we should all still be smoking clay pipes
Now that's the finest example of post hoc ergo propter hoc rationale-via-sarcasm I've heard this week.
the rev

Post by the rev »

What fancy latin terms do you have for someone who judges a pipe and pipemaker without actually seeing the pipe? even the picture? and no it isn't my pipe, I know my pipes suck

rev

maddis

Post by maddis »

Ahem, Gentlepeople, we have a pragmatic question at hand here, so let's leave the :fencing: aside: should I return the pipe or not? Other opinions on whether the physical characteristics I described are cause for concern?
the rev

Post by the rev »

it sounds like the entry into the tobacco chamber is similar to the entry into the chamber of my, and many if not most cavalier pipes, so I wouldn't worry about that. I wonder about just how flat bottomed it is, are the angles on the sides right angles? how big is the bowl?

I would call the pipemaker with your concerns if I was you, you will have to talk to him anyways if you return it

rev

maddis

Post by maddis »

the rev wrote:it sounds like the entry into the tobacco chamber is similar to the entry into the chamber of my, and many if not most cavalier pipes, so I wouldn't worry about that. I wonder about just how flat bottomed it is, are the angles on the sides right angles? how big is the bowl?

I would call the pipemaker with your concerns if I was you, you will have to talk to him anyways if you return it

rev
The sides of the bowl are not at a perfect 90 degrees, as if it was drilled with a Forstner bit, but it's fairly close. The bowl diameter is 3/4". I'd contact the maker, but he's not in this country, and the pipe is an estate. I've spoken with the people who sold it and they are happy to have me return it - no problems there.
the rev

Post by the rev »

if you are not happy with it return it

rev

maddis

Post by maddis »

the rev wrote:if you are not happy with it return it

rev
Thanks.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I kind of agree with LL here, although it hurts to do so.

There's a reason we cut the chamber into a sort of bullet shape, and that's so that we can smoke all the tobacco in it.

I'd like to see pictures of this pipe. I can't believe that anyone who "studied" how to make a pipe would do the things you are saying has been done, and yet be able to manufacture a slot/stem reasonably well. It really sounds... well, weird.

So.. I mean, if you paid vintage dunhill prices for it, it sounds like a bad buy. If you paid something reasonable for it and you think it's neat, then fine. Light er up.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!