Rhodesian Churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mightysmurf8201

Rhodesian Churchwarden

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

So it's been quite a while since I've been on here, but I finally found some time between deployments to make another pipe. My first attempt at a Rhodesian was atrocious, so I thought I'd give it another go, combined with a friend's desire for a churchwarden. Any critique or advice would be appreciated.

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Literaryworkshop

Re: Rhodesian Churchwarden

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I like the grain, and the overall shape of the bowl is very pleasing. The double ring around the bowl is a nice touch.

Still not sure what I think about the bend on the stem. I would have done a more gradual bend, myself. I want the stummel to be a little slimmer, down to the same diameter as the stem. The stem-stummel transition might have been done differently, though I'm not sure how.

Regardless, I'll bet your friend will be thrilled to get it.
- Steve S.
mightysmurf8201

Thanks for the kind words Steve, and you make some good points. I was actually trying to emulate as much as possible, aside from it being a Rhodesian, one of my Erik Nording pipes pictured below. I tried to get the same curve on the stem, as well as using the same type of stem/shank junction. And although I love a red stain, I think the stain that I used was a better choice for this briar.

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

The rustication on the Nording is very nice, but otherwise I think I prefer your pipe. It's more graceful all around.
- Steve S.
mightysmurf8201

:) Why thank you!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Literaryworkshop wrote:The rustication on the Nording is very nice, but otherwise I think I prefer your pipe. It's more graceful all around.

I Agree. .. Personally I don't get the nording craze. Savs or Pete's would be a better buy

James