Custom pipe based in your photos + pipe kit

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Lucaguglielmi

Custom pipe based in your photos + pipe kit

Post by Lucaguglielmi »

Hi every one,
My name is Luca, From London.
I Just launched my kickstarter project where i am trying to create a pipe making kit, with a great packaging and all the things you need to create your own pipe.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/luc ... r-own-pipe

The kit and instruction are made for beginner that want to try making their First pipe with few tools they have at home.

This is more a funding than a sale but i just thought that it would be of interest for some of you, there are some nice rewards like a custom pipe made inspired by your photo for £80!

Of course i know i am years away with my skills compared with some of you guys, for this reason I appreciate any feedback you would like to give me!

Ciao,
Luca
Last edited by Lucaguglielmi on Wed May 15, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Massis

Re: Custom pipe based in your photos + pipe kit

Post by Massis »

your link doesnt work...
Lucaguglielmi

Post by Lucaguglielmi »

Try now :)
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

If I'm reading your site correctly, you made your goal for raising money and then some. Congratulations, I hope your business is a success and your idea of a custom made pipe based on the customer's portrait is interesting.
Please don't take any of my comments the wrong way, this is intended to help you be successful. I'm a beginner myself but I can see there is work to be done on your stem/shank junctions. The joints aren't as tight as they could be. It looks to me that you are sanding the stummels without the stems in place. I'm still struggling with a good fit there myself but it's one of the things that separate the pros from the amateurs.
The abrupt change in angle at the stem/shank junction on several of your pipes is an aesthetic thing but to me there is room for improvement there as well. The lines of a pipe stem and shank should be smooth and flowing, there are a lot of bumps in the lines on some of yours. Either the stem and stummel should look like one smoothly flowing piece or the division between them should be sharp and well defined. There isn't a lot of middle ground that looks good.
Overall your finishing looks good to me. I think if you get the fit at the stem/shank junction tighter and pay more attention to the flow of your pipe's lines you will be successful.
Take the time to study other maker's pipes in the gallery and read what works and what doesn't. These guys know what they are doing and sell pipes for very good money. If you learn from them you will find your work improving quickly.
Good luck in your new venture.
Rodney