What about the pipe?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Charl

What about the pipe?

Post by Charl »

Lately I've seen a lot of pipes sold with added "crap", for want of another better word. Let me make a list of things that I saw get shipped off with a pipe:
Pouch: Well, you have to put the pipe in something, it must look professional and it helps for protection. So I understand that. It makes sense.
Certificate: If you get a wonderful Eltang "once in a lifetime collectors item", cool. If it looks like a basket pipe, then nope! It does not gel.
Tamper: Cool for special occasions only. Hopefully it will sort of "match" the pipe in finish or another way and will be well made. A little extra for a deserving client. But the fact is, it takes time away from pipemaking. Time is money! I have 4 or 5 lying next to my piperack. I do not use it. I use a Czech tool.
Business card: Might be OK, but well, the guy bought a pipe from you, you somehow conversed (be it by email, phone calls or whatever). Surely if he wants another, he will be able to get hold of you somehow? He's done it before, hasn't he?
Brochure: What do you put on it? :roll: Everything he needs, should be available on the webiste.
Is this a new trend? I don't know, but it just irks me that some makers think it will make the pipe more "professional". The pipe should be the focus. The pipe should do the talking. Certificates, cards etc does not. And especially not if you are ABC pipes that have made 10 pipes.
Growley

Re: What about the pipe?

Post by Growley »

Charl,

I've noticed this too. A lot of times it seems to come from the newer makers, from what I can tell. I'm a newer maker, so I watch closely to what my peers are doing. I'm sure there are several ways to look at this. I don't think there is a right or wrong to most of it, but for me if you ship your pipe with a bunch of extras, it's almost like saying, "the pipe itself isn't worth it, so here's a bunch of extra stuff to make up for it, or help you not notice the pipe as much."

On the other hand, people like to get free stuff....but do they end up wondering if the stuff they're getting is not actually free, but part of the cost? Probably.

I'm all for presentation and marketing, but I won't be one who will send out a lot of stuff with my pipes most likely.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Yeah... the first two pipes I sold I did a hand written note with a caligraphy pen. I quit doing that pretty fast.

Now I send the pipe and a leather pipe sock. Done.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Good enough pipes sell. You can photograph em, talk about em, send a free bag of M+Ms. But at the end of the day, if your pipe is good enough it will sell.

But....... hey let's face it - the nod, wink, nudge and the silk bag and the paperwork you get with a Dunhill (or a Savinelli autograph for that matter) make you feel like you got something special. That will ALWAYS work.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:Good enough pipes sell. You can photograph em, talk about em, send a free bag of M+Ms. But at the end of the day, if your pipe is good enough it will sell.

But....... hey let's face it - the nod, wink, nudge and the silk bag and the paperwork you get with a Dunhill (or a Savinelli autograph for that matter) make you feel like you got something special. That will ALWAYS work.
The hairy one has a point.

I see your contention as well, Charl, but don't underestimate the power of presentation.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

e Markle wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Good enough pipes sell. You can photograph em, talk about em, send a free bag of M+Ms. But at the end of the day, if your pipe is good enough it will sell.

I see your contention as well, Charl, but don't underestimate the power of presentation.
Especially when you rely on it as heavily as Sparkle, here. ;)

Guys I wish I had a picture of Ernie during the Chicago Show. Dude looked like he stepped out of a 1950s sales catalogue. :lol: :wink:
Last edited by d.huber on Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

e Markle wrote:

But he's also right. Why do you think people spend so much time on pipe photography, web design, and the like?

Making yourself and your pipes presentable is important. The question here, I think, is at what point are you trying to use smoke and mirrors instead of effective presentation of an excellent product?

-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

UberHuberMan wrote: Guys I wish I had a picture of Ernie during the Chicago Show.
I don't think Ernie shows up in pictures ?? I took a shot of me with my arm over his shoulder. When I checked it later, it was just me standing there with my arm in the air.... :shock:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Alden wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote: Guys I wish I had a picture of Ernie during the Chicago Show.
I don't think Ernie shows up in pictures ?? I took a shot of me with my arm over his shoulder. When I checked it later, it was just me standing there with my arm in the air.... :shock:
He's a vampire, that's why he sparkles.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tyler wrote:
Alden wrote:
Tyler,

In case you didn't know, this is called glammering. I'm guessing you don't remember when Ernie had you pinned on the floor of the tent and was sucking blood from your neck.

All of us were horrified until we totally forgot about it. I think this is another part of glammering. You don't remember that shit. Except that I do.

I am a Grimm.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't remember shit about Chicago, but I'm pretty sure it's Sam Adams related, rather than any vampire magic.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I love the direction that this thread is going. Please continue.

-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

This is really freaky - here's a photo of Ernie and I having a drink at my place.

Nate

Post by Nate »

This. Thread. Is. WIN.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UberHuberMan wrote: Guys I wish I had a picture of Ernie during the Chicago Show. Dude looked like he stepped out of a 1950s sales catalogue. :lol: :wink:
I doubt he outshone Steve Morrisette in that regard:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Wait, isn't Sparklesmarkle the figurine on the left on top of your table, Sas?
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Lol! Yeah Steve is a dapper fellow. He also is from the '50s, so he's got an excuse. :lol:

-Tyler Beard
sam a

Post by sam a »

Tyler wrote:
Alden wrote:
funny, he showed up in this picture... caught just as he was about to feed on mimmo and grant.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

This explains why I couldn't find either of them after Saturday..... it's... so sad because they were both so nice too.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Must be an eldar vampire. Power to appear in photos at will and go out in daylight and what-not. That explains the 1950s look!

-Tyler Beard