Does it matter which way I turn Morta??

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
scotties22

Does it matter which way I turn Morta??

Post by scotties22 »

With the grain, across the grain......does it matter? Is one easier than the other?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Re: Does it matter which way I turn Morta??

Post by Ocelot55 »

scotties22 wrote:With the grain, across the grain......does it matter? Is one easier than the other?
No and yes! Are you sandblasting it. I think it depends on what look you're trying to achieve. The end grain will blast with deeper ridges run parallell and fairly close together.

In this photo you're looking at the end grain. If you have a large enough block you can orient the pipe so that end grain runs down the profile of the pipe as opposed to the front and back.

I'm not sure if the block you used is large enough to achieve this effect. I know mine were not.

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Nope, I got the same size block you did. I'm gonna get two pipes out of it....hopefully. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to lay them out a certain way. I don't have a sandblaster, but am looking for someone here in KC to hook up with that has one. Thanks.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I always say turn it cross cut (like the second picture) if turned the other way all the expansion and shrinking of the wood takes place over a larger area and it can lead to oval bowls and squished shanks and mortises.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

haven't worked with morta but when drilling the chamber in cherry or apple I find much better result avoiding tear out when drilling with the grain like your photo. not sure how morta drills I'm sure its harder than cherry but the wide growth rings might cause the same tear out..