My first Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

My first Bulldog

Post by scotties22 »

So she is kind of a mut. Diamond shank on top and oval on the bottom....I was feeling frisky. Things were going smooth and them I (for the 5th fucking time in the past two weeks) decided it would be a great idea to find the airway while I was cleaning up the slot :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . I'n not too thin behind the button, just right at .17. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated at the moment. I have about 3 hours into this pipe right now and thought things were going pretty smooth. I figured since I have to start a new stem it wouldn't hurt to get a bit of advise on the ol' girl.

Starting over on the stem is going to be a huge pain in the ass. I thought this one was coming along....maybe not great, but at least decent. I HATE MAKING STEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I literally have 6 stummels waiting for stems. That's it I'm going to bed!!!!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Re: My first Bulldog

Post by LatakiaLover »

scotties22 wrote: I HATE MAKING STEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I literally have 6 stummels waiting for stems.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Hey... I LOVE MAKING STEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Looks like you're going to have to come over here, after all. Be glad to show you some technique-y stuff.

Written description sucks, pictures are better, and video is better still. But in-person demo/workshop sessions kick ass.

Be warned, though, my cat is ferocious. She's likely to purr you to death.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

no advice here, scottie. i hate stems as well. why cant we just smoke from the stummel :(
anyway she looks pretty naize
-evan
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

You got this Scottie!

I think two things I see, are:

-The transition from the shank to the stem isn't a smooth line. It feels like a steady curve, hits the stem, and bends back down, kinda goofy. I think that line should be smooth n' steady.

-The shank-bowl transition could benefit from a bit more definition, nothing major, just some subtle work.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

George- That would be great! I could really use some hands on help to get this stem stuff squared away.

Yeti- Still have a little work to do on the shank/bowl juntion for sure. I got so pissed off when I ruined the stem that I gave up. I was still working on the top line of the stem too...really doesn't matter now :lol: . This is the first diamond shank that I have done and I've learned alot for sure. Where I was at last night I was just glad it was a straight line :lol:

The grain isn't spectacular at all and I thought I might try to rustcate the bottom and leave the top smooth. Still debating that though.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com