Morta #2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

Morta #2

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ladies and gentlemen, here is my second pipe made out of morta. The one thing that bothers me on this pipe is the stem/shank junction. The stem appears bigger than the shank. When I finished sanding they were completely flush, however, I had been wet sanding the stem. I think the residual water caused the shank to swell while I was sanding. When the water evaporated the shank contracted, leaving me with a joint that didn't quite match. :filth-n-foul: Next time I'll know better.

As usual, I need all the critique I can get.

LatakiaLover

Re: Morta #2

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ocelot55 wrote:The one thing that bothers me on this pipe is the stem/shank junction. The stem appears bigger than the shank.
Why not just make the stem smaller now?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:The one thing that bothers me on this pipe is the stem/shank junction. The stem appears bigger than the shank.
Why not just make the stem smaller now?
Pure unadulterated laziness.

Sanding stems is my least favorite part of making a pipe. I put more time than usual sanding the stem this time around in order to really make it shine. Darn junction was perfect. Masked it all off last night and once we got back from the blaster today removed the tape.... :banghead:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

is that SEM's stock? lovely colour choice. i like it, kinda short nosewarmerish. regardless, morta blasts are slowly becomeing the most appealing finish to me.
-evan
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wisemanpipes wrote:is that SEM's stock? lovely colour choice. i like it, kinda short nosewarmerish. regardless, morta blasts are slowly becomeing the most appealing finish to me.
-evan
I got that rod from PME when they had it on sale a month or so ago. It's the gold rush yellow. It's actually more of an olive tone to me.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Did you turn up the psi on the blast this time?

I really dig this pipe. Great lines and I love the blast. I have got to get some morta and give it a whirl.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

We used about 80 PSI. Just good ol' blasting sand for a medium. Turned out much better than the last one.
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

I really like this one. I would smoke it.
Michael Labo
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

If you're feelin' gutsy, crank it up to 120 next time. ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Did you buy the larger piece of Morta that guy had listed? Are you going to get another pipe out of it, or just the two?
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

UberHuberMan wrote:If you're feelin' gutsy, crank it up to 120 next time. ;)

@ David: Definately!!!

@ Scottie: :mrgreen: Well, I'm utilizing all the block I can. I bought two blocks: 3 X 3 X 1 11/16". By arranging the pipes just so I was able to get two from one block. I plan on getting two from the next block as well. That makes the material much more affordable at about $15 instead of $30 per pipe (with shipping). If I wanted to do a bent it would probably take the whole block. Had almost zero scraps.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Good to know you can squeeze two out of the smaller blocks. I was thinking about getting the larger one he had....just checked. He only has one block like the ones you bought left.
www.ladybriar.com