Mulberry

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
fastredx

Mulberry

Post by fastredx »

I haven't made many pipes but two of them have been made of Mulberry. The wood came from a large Mulberry that had been cut and left where it fell for several years. I cut a section about 4' long-24" diameter, and hauled it home.
I made the first pipe in 9-09 and have smoked it many times. Cheated on it and used a Grabow stem. The second one I made a couple of weeks ago and sent to a friend. Made the stem for it.
The only problem I've had with the first is that it must be completely cooled off in order to get the stem out.No burn,bad taste and I haven't developed any weird tics etc.Color on both is natural.Finished only with wax.
Ocelot55

Re: Mulberry

Post by Ocelot55 »

I kinda want to see what happens if you blast mulberry. :mrgreen:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

that is a beautiful wood.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Good to know that mulberry will make a good pipe. I'm a compulsive wood scavenger, so I'll put mulberry on my list of woods not to pass up.
- Steve S.
Charl

Post by Charl »

An oldtimer told me that he used to make pipes from mulberry to smoke himself. According to him it lasted better than olive, so you might be onto something.
fastredx

Post by fastredx »

I don't know much about Mulberry. It used to be used a lot,along with Osage Orange, for fence posts.Very rot resistant.
Doesn't seem to be as hard as Hickory or Oak but has a tighter grain and will sand and buff to a nice shine without the use of varnish etc.
Break in was no different (to me) than breaking in a raw briar.