lookin for billiard critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
heri

lookin for billiard critique

Post by heri »

It would be nice if somebody good of you made a critique for this my pipe, if i want to make a proper billiard what i do need to change on this one?
Forgive me the color, i was just curious what it will look like on wood :D.

d.huber

Re: lookin for billiard critique

Post by d.huber »

Looks billiardy to me!

You've got a little compound behind your button. :wink:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

seems your shank tapers toward your stem but that could just me angle
the rev

Post by the rev »

technically your stem should be longer, I don't know if anyone follows the rules exactly though

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

what rev?
2.574 times the length of the stummel, with the diameter of the shank being a 3.024:1 ratio to the bowl?
thought everyone did that... :?
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Hello Heri

I agree that the stem is a bit short.

The shank appears slightly larger as it approaches the stem.

There are a couple other things I noticed but more personal preference but I would like to compliment you on the transition from the outside of the bowl to the bottom of the stummel. The line was clean and visually pleasing.
Kevin
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The shape of the bowl is great - well done!

The shank gets larger as it approaches the stem. No matter what pickure you look at, or at what angle, you can't miss it. It should be sanded down a bit more right at the stem/shank junction. Then retaper the stem a little on the shank end. You're there.

Great pipe. I wouldn't worry too much about the length of the stem (on this pipe). Just make the next one a tad longer... someone will like this one a lot and grab it up.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Looks good. I will add that from the top view the stem looks much wider than the shank. In my opinion it would look much better if the stem either tapered towards the bit, or better yet had a fish tail shape as dunhills often have. Good job!
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

I'm confused again, my understanding from Sas, was that the shank length from the bowl to the stem, should equal the bowl height measured from the top of the shank. In this case, that would make the shank just a tad too long. (Or has my CRS disease kicked in again?)

I agree with the others on the shank diameter at the stem, it appears larger than at the stummel. It could be one of those optical delusion thingys.

You're bowl shaping is great. The two I made tapered too much at the bottom of the bowl. You're front view mirrors the side view as it should. Don't apologize for the stain, I like it on this pipe. All in all a very nice billiard. Please keep in mind that I am a newbie, this is my first critique (I still can't believe I just did that) and I know less than you do.

I do think a tad shorter shank and a tad longer stem would add more balance. Again just an uneducated opinion. I'll be available for my ass whipping as soon as the recess bell rings.
Wallace
heri

Post by heri »

hou, i allways understood that lenght of shank should be as lenght of whole stummel, so maybe theres a mistake, thats what i wanted to hear, next time i will make longer stem, and no taper shank, thank you guys :)
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Using this Dunhill as an example, the shank is the same length as the height of the bowl, both measured from the shank/bowl juncture. The stem is the length of the stummel.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with what's been said so far. The shank is a hair long and the stem is a hair short. The shank is thick where it meets the stem. Those three things throw the balance off visually a bit but not by a lot. The only other thing I see is that the button is pretty thin but that's a personal preference thing. There are many who prefer a bit that small and thin. With the dead spot in the grain, this pipe would most likely be sandblasted or rusticated in a professional shop. Nice job overall.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
the rev

Post by the rev »

AlfaDog wrote:Using this Dunhill as an example, the shank is the same length as the height of the bowl, both measured from the shank/bowl juncture. The stem is the length of the stummel.

the stem is supposed to be half the length of the pipe

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

the rev wrote:
AlfaDog wrote:Using this Dunhill as an example, the shank is the same length as the height of the bowl, both measured from the shank/bowl juncture. The stem is the length of the stummel.

the stem is supposed to be half the length of the pipe

rev
right. 1+1=2/2=1. If the stem is the length of the stummel, it will make up half the pipe. :)
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

No rooms for propotions cause it¨s not a billard but a brandy.

You need to study more the shape and work the tapering of the shank, toy still have enough wood to make it a proper billard. :wink:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

archaggelosmichail wrote:No rooms for propotions cause it¨s not a billard but a brandy.

You need to study more the shape and work the tapering of the shank, toy still have enough wood to make it a proper billard. :wink:
Out of curiosity, why do you think this is a brandy?

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I would argue, however, that this is definitely a billiard, shank and stem length not withstanding. ;)

Billiard:

Brandy:

-Tyler Beard
archaggelosmichail

Billard

Brandy

Apple

Billards have different design at the front and the back of the bowl, and tent to be as ¨minimal¨ as possible at the heel of the bowl, while brandys have bothe sides of the bowl identical and more squarish finish to the heel.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

archaggelosmichail wrote:Billards have different design at the front and the back of the bowl, and tent to be as ¨minimal¨ as possible at the heel of the bowl, while brandys have bothe sides of the bowl identical and more squarish finish to the heel.
This is fun!

Now I'm no expert, but I've always understood a billiard to have a slight forward cant on the back of the bowl (the side facing the smoker) with or without a front line symmetrical to the back. A brandy has a much steeper taper towards the top of the bowl. I suppose that part of the debate comes from stylistic differences from maker to maker.

Billiard defined: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Billiard
Brandy defined: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Brandy

The pics below are to illustrate bowl shape only. This is how they're listed on ScandPipes.com.

Billiard

Brandy

I still think the pipe in the OP has a billiard shaped bowl. :thumbsup:

-Tyler Beard
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

This is the reason I emailed Scott Thile recently to discuss the advantage of a pipe guild as it seems there is a lack of written standards when it comes to basic form.

But it seems the massive work Scott has put into pipedia it would be better to post the accepted standards for each basic shape there.

Most learn the form by sight as the shapes are not complex but would there not be some advantage to a written generally accepted guideline? Something for the new collector to reference as the general accepted form but not THE rule so as to be constrictive?

This is where I hold my breath and wait for Rad to drop "It's a fu$#%ing pipe man. Look at the freaking shape and pay attention to the details for Buddhas sake" hahahaa :lol:
Kevin
archaggelosmichail

I still can΄t understand why you think the last post΄s first pipe as a billard, but okay I don΄t have any problem with that. :lol: