Workshop renovation

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Massis

Workshop renovation

Post by Massis »

Yesterday I completely cleared my shop - surprisingly hard work for a 3 by 4m shop - because renovations are starting.

What I'm going to do in short:
- replace the window
- replace the 2 doors
- place a PVC floor (it's now rough concrete)
- isolate all 4 walls
- add an attic (ceiling + storage space)
- build a new workbench

I'm going to be doing all of this by myself as far as possible.

This is what it looked like until yesterday:

A rough idea of what it should become:

The new window should be coming later this week or early next week, at which points the doors will be removed as well. I hope to have the entire shop back up and running before this summer.

If anyone is interested, I'll keep a photolog in this topic on how works are progressing.
mcgregorpipes

Re: Workshop renovation

Post by mcgregorpipes »

cool shop looks like a good use of the space
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I am going to give you a few tips on tool placement though I don't know if that plan represents your final placement or not.

Bandsaw is in a good spot, the open door and central location will allow you to handle larger and longer pieces of work. Move the drill press to the top right corner, drill presses work well in corners as they are not direction and if you are drilling long pieces of wood etc you can use the wall as a brace and backstop should the drill grab and try to spin the work. Move your grinder as far away from other tools as possible, even in a different room is ideal and no where near your lathe.
Move your lathe to a position where you can access as much of it as possible and not in that corner as you want to able to get yourself in line with the tailstock easily, when drilling you can then slide it by hand and get your body behind it. Currently the bench on your right will just make things tricky and bad for your back. Hope that make sense
Massis

Post by Massis »

Thanks for the hints. The drill press will probably move around untill I find a suitable spot. The corner idea will certainly be tested :-)

Since I don't have other rooms, the grinder will probably go where it is on the design: in the far corner.

Concerning the lathe, I'm still thinking about placement. The corner is far from ideal, but I don't really want to put it in the middle of my workbench because it will cause more loss of space...

I might put the sanding setup in the cornerpiece with both one motor and the dust collecting dremel-table, and put the lathe in the middle of my bench anyways...

Those are things I'll decide while building :-)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

If it were me I would have it at the bottom left corner of the workbench, just far enough away from the wall so the tailstock was in line with my left arm, then there would be enough room to get my body behind it for good control, power and a good view.
Massis

Post by Massis »

The doors have been removed, and the new window is in!

Now off to put in a new floor so the new doors can be installed!

Massis

Post by Massis »

New concrete floor is in! Next up: new doors.

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

How exciting! Lookin' good so far!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Massis

Post by Massis »

The doors are in! Meanwhile I've also finished our front yard, so I added a picture of our house just for the fun of it. I have to say, having a workshop attached to my house is a great asset, because I'd never get there if I had to drive to get there.

Later today I'm going to order all the lumber to start isolating the walls and adding the ceiling!

archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Niiiice!

I suggest to plaster the inside walls, so that you don't have any fine dust that you can't remove.
Massis

Post by Massis »

archaggelosmichail wrote:Niiiice!

I suggest to plaster the inside walls, so that you don't have any fine dust that you can't remove.
Thanks for the tip, but the walls are going to be covered with 10cm of isolation in wooden frames, and then covered with 18mm OSB boards, because in the current situation temperature drops below zero in winter in my workshop...

I might even seal the OSB boards later against dust, depending on how badly that's turns out to be needed.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Coming along beautifully, Massis! I can't wait to see it completed with you at the lathe puffing away at some Semois. ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

Awe. Some. Nice work Massis, sweet shop.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Massis wrote: Thanks for the tip, but the walls are going to be covered with 10cm of isolation in wooden frames, and then covered with 18mm OSB boards, because in the current situation temperature drops below zero in winter in my workshop...
I really enjoy seeing other people's shops - especially the European shops. You guys have the coolest spaces. One day I'll post some pics of my dungeon, and it will bore you to tears.

Your English is excellent, but I wanted to point out one thing: I think you mean "insulation" (something to slow the transfer of heat) not "isolation" (being alone). You probably know that already, but just in case. :)
Massis

Post by Massis »

darnd, in dutch, french and german it's 'isolation' or something similar, so I doubted because I know insulation as a word as well :-p
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

e Markle wrote:
Massis wrote: Thanks for the tip, but the walls are going to be covered with 10cm of isolation in wooden frames, and then covered with 18mm OSB boards, because in the current situation temperature drops below zero in winter in my workshop...
I really enjoy seeing other people's shops - especially the European shops. You guys have the coolest spaces. One day I'll post some pics of my dungeon, and it will bore you to tears.

As would my shop.
Massis

Post by Massis »

don't whine, at least you guys HAVE shops! I have an empty shed which used to house rabbits untill a few years ago.

luckely I can turn it into a shop! I just ordered about $1000 of lumber to start the finishing process. Will be over $2k into it before I'm up and running again...
Massis

Post by Massis »

New addition from last night!

My father in law is a dentist who used to have to practices. He closed one down a few years ago but kept some equipment. He's now moving so he's clearing out his old house, and found this which he thought I could use:

My new shop will have a very good downlight with enough reach to use both at the lathe and while doing detailing work. It moves freely in just about any direction, tilts over 180 degrees and can be pulled down for some close up lighting and floats back up after releasing it.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Wow. Great idea on the dental light!

The shop is coming along,
Massis

Post by Massis »

The wood has been delivered, yay!

Also this morning the insulation (right? right?) arrived for quite a decent price :-) €350 for about 60m² of fibreglass insulation (glass wool) including delivery, most of it is 10cm thick except for the ceiling, which will have 18cm's of this stuff.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend (unlikely, but hey) to start building frames for the walls...