Are these wood lathes worth it?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ajpl

Are these wood lathes worth it?

Post by ajpl »

So Harbor Freight has these two bench top wood lathes on sale right now; are they worth buying for whenever I have the money to tool them up or should I save up for a nicer model?

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-be ... 65345.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-1 ... 95607.html
Drew
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice."
pipeguy

Re: Are these wood lathes worth it?

Post by pipeguy »

You answered your own ??? with the first two words
1 Harbor
2.Freight
A lathe is the single most important purchace you can make.I don't mean go out and spend a boat load. There are very good previously owned tools for sale on craigslist ebay etc.Do not be afraid of older stuff its still quality and probably has alot of parts readily available if you need them. Quality lasts a lifetime. Just one mans opinion :D
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

pipeguy wrote:You answered your own ??? with the first two words
1 Harbor
2.Freight
A lathe is the single most important purchace you can make.I don't mean go out and spend a boat load. There are very good previously owned tools for sale on craigslist ebay etc.Do not be afraid of older stuff its still quality and probably has alot of parts readily available if you need them. Quality lasts a lifetime. Just one mans opinion :D
+1
bought a sears lathe and the thing is garbage. im selling it as im typing. ill probably end up getting a better one from craiglist. nice and old that needs a little tlc. definitly go quality over new.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

No, Harbor Freight lathes aren't good enough even for making pipes. Save your money and buy a Rikon, Delta, or Jet midi if money is tight. If you have lots of cash then buy a metal lathe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:No, Harbor Freight lathes aren't good enough even for making pipes. Save your money and buy a Rikon, Delta, or Jet midi if money is tight. If you have lots of cash then buy a metal lathe.
+40
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

wdteipen wrote:No, Harbor Freight lathes aren't good enough even for making pipes.
Unless you are me.

I use the HF 5-speed from your first link to bore, drill, and turn.

Then again, I could turn a pipe on a grist mill if it's all I had. :lol:
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I once saw Walt turn a pipe using only a roller-derby skate, a used scrunchy, and a fake fingernail found on the rink after a competition. It still smoked like a champ.

I use Jet lathes right now. But I have an older Craftsman that runs well if you are close and interested. I live in Columbia SC.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Gershom wrote:I once saw Walt turn a pipe using only a roller-derby skate, a used scrunchy, and a fake fingernail found on the rink after a competition. It still smoked like a champ.
True story!

That said though, HF equipment, specifically the wood lathes, are somewhat troublesome to work with (for one thing, the tailstock is all over the place!!!). If this is your first lathe, I would shy away from HF, as you might not be able to identify the shortcomings and compensate for them. I know when something is off, and I know how to correct it, otherwise, I would not be using the HF lathe. If you can afford something better, by all means get it!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I would recommend a used Jet. Delta is good too, but right now they are going through a warehouse transition, and it can take quite a long time in some instances to get replacement parts. I haven't had any issues with Jet or their replacement parts. Came in very quickly.

If it is a bigger Jet you can make other things as well, especially if it has outboard turning capabilities.

Like previously said, check your local Craigslist.

Jon
ajpl

Post by ajpl »

Thanks guys! Sounds like I'll be waiting a bit until I can afford something better.
Drew
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice."