My Pipe #3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
achduliebe

My Pipe #3

Post by achduliebe »

Here is my 3rd pipe, a late Christmas gift to myself...although my boss has shown some serious interest. Maybe he will offer up some sweet mula. Anyways, I still have some polishing to do on the stem and need to sand out the tobacco chamber to remove some stain that got in there. I also plan on trying my first bowl coating on this one. Here it is, let me know what you honestly think about pipe 3.

Thanks a bunch guys.
Last edited by achduliebe on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Random,

I know what you mean about Bamboos, I didn't care for them either when I first got into pipes. In fact, I didn't care for them too much when I started this pipe but it has really grown on me. Maybe it's the fact that I made the pipe, just a little bias towards my own creation.

Anyways, I really appreciate the words of confidence!

Thanks
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
marks

Post by marks »

Lookin Good!
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

looking good, Brian.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

hmm... It looks good for a first bamboo, that's for sure. What's the transition piece? Rosewood?

I can see why people make the shanks so short normaly. This seems too long to me. I like the shape of the bowl tho... the pipe itself seems like a good fit for a bamboo shank. I know you didn't have loads of bamboo to work with but I would have played with different sizes a bit. I think the knuckles overshadow your nice half saddle stem work. And this is a part of the shank thing that maybe would go away if it were shorter but it tapers down at an angle toward the bamboo and then the bamboo is straight in it's angle.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Marks and Chadd,

Thanks for the comments!

Hey Ben,

The transition pieces are purple heart. Yeah, the short shank is what you normally see on bamboos...I just decided to go against the grain on this one. I did, however, debate cutting off the shank a bit. This pipe is a pretty small pipe and I squeezed out of the block what I could. There was by no means any "fat" on this block. That being the case, the stainless steel tube coming out of the bamboo into the shank/stummel needed some room otherwise it would just about have been visible at the bottom of the tobacco chamber. I guess I could have cut the stainless off a little more, but I did not want to compromise the strength/connection to the shank/stummel.

As for the half saddle bit. There is a little story there. I am not at the level where I have a large amount of supplies. So, when I ordered this block and my last, I only ordered two preformed stems. Therefore, for this pipe I only had about a 2" taper bit. So, to make that stem fit this pipe I just cut the first 1/2" off and reshaped the bit and made it a half saddle. I don't think it turned out bad considering it was a 2" round taper.

Besides, this is my smoke. I went into this one, just trying to get a decent looking bamboo for myself...just basically to see if I could do it with cheap bamboo and the smallest ebauchon that PIMO sells.

Oh and as for the bamboo, this was the smallest piece beleive it or not. I have to get some good bamboo, that is for sure.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice looking pipe there buddy!

I like the shape. Very cool, the pointed bottom on the bowl and the bamboo give it a really neat, 60's Danish freehand look to it. (At least thats what I think of. I might have my era's wrong) I wish I could get a better look at the purple heart. Thats a neat wood to use. I bet it looks pretty striking in person.

Great pipe bud. I hope it smokes well. Tyler says bamboo is really absorbant, so I bet it'll smoke dry. What size tubing did you use to connect the bamboo the the shank? I've used 1/4 inch on the one bamboo I've started. I'd like find some tubing that as a 4mm or 5/32 inner diameter, so I can kkep a uniform draught hole diameter, but I really haven't looked too hard. I did find one source, but it was mui expensive. Well not too expensive, but more than I had at the moment.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the comments. I used 5/32" inside diameter stainless tubing. I found it I beleive at MSC Industrial or McMaster-Carr. I can look when I get home and I might also be able to provide you with a part number. I only bought a foot of it and it was like $5 or so, not too terribly expensive.

I will try to take another picture of the pipe from the side where you can see a better view of the purple heart.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

5/32 is perfect. Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Nick,

Here is the information on the stainless steel tubing. I did get it from McMaster-Carr and it was just a bit smaller than 5/32". The OD is 0.1875" and the ID is 0.1315". The part number is 8457K22 and it is $3.67 per foot. Hope this helps you out.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

The new pics are great!

Thanks again for the info