How many pipes?...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Will_Branch

How many pipes?...

Post by Will_Branch »

How many pipes did you make before you began selling them, or thought that they were decent enough to sell?

How did you go about beginning to sell your pipes?

What would you have done differently going from a hobby to sideline or full-time professional?

I have made to pipes so far, so I am no expert... But, I'd like to think that I could offer my pipes for sale at some point, assuming I can make a technically good pipe that has some appealing design. I have about 80 briar blocks that I mostly bought from a wife / husband pipe making team in KY. I'm not sure of the quality of the grain of many of them because they are ruff cut, dusty and seem to have aged a good bit as they are deep brown, but no cracking issues. They are all plateau, but just not sure if they are extra or extra extra... Just comparing the block by weight to the JH Lowe and Tinsky's sites I got them for less than 1/2 the price plus some other odds and ends - shipped.

Anyway... I'd hope I could offer some pipes before I use up my supply...

I appreciate your input.

Will
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

80 Blocks! That is waaaaay too many to have in one spot. For reasons of safety you should sent some to me so that I can share the risks. Don't ask me what the risks are. They are too complicated to explain here. I know, it is a very selfless thing to do but that is the kind of guy I am. :wink:

Seriously though, it all depends on the person but, I made about 8 pipes before I started selling them. I have made probably 20 pipes give or take so far. I have been doing it since late July early Aug 2003.
Will_Branch

Post by Will_Branch »

Hi John... So you are the briar block inspection / risk management dept... I tried to send in a block, but it was returned - undelivered. They couldn't find you. :P :wink:

Seriously... I'd could be interested in trading some for stem rod, or ivory, nice shank extension wood, or pipe making tools I don't have, training :wink: ...

My wife is trying to get me to make some pipes for our local festival - Autumn Leaves Festival, in Mt. Airy, NC. I also thought about the NC State Fair - but there may not be a table left - there were 2 - 3 pipe makers the last time I went.

Will
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Interesting...

I gave my 4th pipe away (my Dad)... sold one, then made one for a friend, then went through a few cast offs which smoke perfectly for me, sold 2 others...

I really think it depends on different factors...

1. Do you have a customer willing to pay for the product
2. Are you confident enough to offer product to customers that have not been able to handle the product (Internet or E-Bay)

I've got about 24 blocks of briar in my stock at the moment and I'm hoping to move at least 25% of that by June to help finance the workshop being winterized, so i have a goal, but who knows with briar... I might only get 10% that I would deem sellable...

Good question!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

Good questions.
How many pipes did you make before you began selling them, or thought that they were decent enough to sell?
I sold the 4th pipe I made. The first was a kit. The second one that I rejected early on because of a flaw all the way through the bowl. The third, and first I drilled on my lathe, was a birthday gift to my boss. The fourth I sold. I did not sell the fourth first though. I sold the fourth pipe several months after my first sale. That pipe sold right out of my mouth at a pipe club meeting in Dallas. I was smoking the pipe and a guy asked me if I would sell it to him. I did. I have regretted that several time though, because I really liked that pipe and ended up missing it. :)

The first pipe I sold unsmoked was my 9th pipe. I did not intend to sell it. I posted it on my web page and announced it on ASP, just to have people take a look and comment. A guy offered to buy it, and after much deliberation I accepted. My 10th pipe was my first commission. Since then, I've sold most of what I have made, including my 7th pipe that was my first experience with sand blasting. My 8th pipe (hawk ball) was the most popular on my previous web site, but I kept it myself because of flaws. Maybe I'll dig some old pics up and post them.
How did you go about beginning to sell your pipes?
As I mentioned above, my first sale was from an inquiry on a pipe that I had not offered for sale. I did already have a commission in the bag at that point, I just hadn't delivered it yet. The commission came from my visit to the DFW pipe club, and one of the members seeing my work. He commissioned a bulldog. After that, I began advertising them on the web for sale. My sales came from in-person visits to clubs though, as it is RARE to sell a pipe from the web as a new guy.

What would you have done differently going from a hobby to sideline or full-time professional?
Nothing really. If I was wealthier, I might have passed out pipes to strategic collectors for their review and comment, but I couldn't afford to do that. If I wanted to keep buying briar, I needed to recoupe some money. Since I am not in the situation though, I am pleased with how things have worked out.

In conclusion, I think that 80 blocks will get you going. :D

Tyler