NEW Lathe just arrived from the UK - YEAH!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
brurobas

NEW Lathe just arrived from the UK - YEAH!

Post by brurobas »

Good afternoon!

After one week of waiting here is my new toy, directly from the awesome guys at Chester Machine Tools, what an extraordinary service!

It took 4 strong men to unpack it and put it in my workbench!

It was a great tooling week with the French Wheel from Tim West, the Makita Bandsaw and now this lathe :D

I already have a place where my chuck jaws are going to be modified and i am taking it there tomorrow.

I am a very happy guy right now!

Regards

Bruno
d.huber

Re: NEW Lathe just arrived from the UK - YEAH!

Post by d.huber »

Sweet! Have fun and post results!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
the rev

Post by the rev »

I am a very jealous guy right now

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I ordered from Chester a while back too. Can really agree with the awesome service!

Unfortunately I had some trouble with the gears in my mini lathe that broke and I couldn't send it back to UK for service..but the guys guided me via photos and sent me the spare parts I needed without a bit of mess or trouble :D

Have fun with yours!!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

awesome lathe.. much better than mine.. or is mine better.. just because its mine... haha...

enjoy.. and be careful with it.. many many years of service as long as you care for it

James
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Now I am jealous! She looks a beauty. Before you start truning i would recommend stripping down the moving parts such as the cross slide and carriage, checking for any manufacturing dirt etc and givng it all a good wipe down with Kerosene then a good oiling before putting it back together and adjusting the gibs etc. It may seem a lot of work but it will serve 2 very important purposes, firstly it will allow you to check for any missing/broken parts and any grit/dirt that will cause problems later on. Secondly you will gain a massive understanding for the construction of the lathe which will be invaluable when if you need to made any repairs or mods but also when it comes to cleaning next time, you will know what it looks like clean and not caked in grime and oil.

Remember to also use a good quality thin oil for lubrication, no grease and use it often to keep the lathe in good shape. With care you will have a tool that will hold its accuracy and value for a lifetime.
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Which model did you go with and what made you go with this company? Was shipping outrageous?

Have fun and enjoy.
Michael Labo
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

I am going to clean it up tonight and i hope tomorrow i will go for a "test drive"

:D

MonsieurLabo wrote:Which model did you go with and what made you go with this company? Was shipping outrageous?
I went for the DB10GVS!

I went for Chester because:

- The reviews i read about their products
- The extras
- 1200W motor
- Excelente communication with their customer service

Shipping to Portugal was around € 130