Jet BD920N

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Jet BD920N

Post by Gershom »

I just got this from a guy about 3 hours away. Sold it to me for $600. I need to clean it up a bit, but it will be just what I need for pipe making! Any advice for when I clean it up would be appreciated. Anyone know where I can find a good set of cutting bits from? It only came with one...

Thanks!

It came with this stand.

This is the only thing that was broken as far as I could tell... I'm not exactly sure what part to order, but I will soon figure it out.
e Markle

Re: Jet BD920N

Post by e Markle »

I have the exact same lathe. Looks like that's just a hand crank/handle that's broken - no biggie. One thing I would suggest if you're 6' or taller: don't use that stand. I used it forever, and it really hurt my back bending over it all the time. I moved it to a taller workbench, and it's much more comfortable to use now.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I noticed it was short too. I have seen some extensions, but I think I will just build up the floor underneath it. 2x4's glued together. Thanks for the response.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

The trick with the stand is a nice rolling chair. Great intro lathe for sure! Similar to mine.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I have the exact lathe and stand. I like my stand. I set on a bar stool and it's the perfect height for me. You got a good deal on that one, as the stand goes for about $350 new.

For cutting tools, I can't really say as I got a box full when I bought my lathe, so haven't had to purchase any.

As for advice, I'd take everything but the head stock off and completely clean and polish the ways, that way you can get to them completely and not miss any abrasive material you or someone else may have used. It also gives you a chance to check the half nuts and the gears on the cross feed and such.

The broken piece is the hand wheel on the tail stock. It also looks like the threads have been torn up a bit. You may have too get a tap and re-thread it. Then you'll need the wheel (If you don't have it) and a the key. There is also a dial that fits on the inside of the hand wheel that has increments that match up with the mark on the tail stock.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thanks guys for the help. I got a lot of work to do, and I'll start doing it next week, as this coming week is finals week in my master's program. I have atleast 2 pipes to make before Christmas, so I gotta get going!