Billiard Pipe (#4)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
AldenW

Billiard Pipe (#4)

Post by AldenW »

I broke 3 stems and one chunk of briar for this pipe. And thus did I (re)learn not to work when I'm tired. But here's a billiard, and my first contrast stain (black with chocolate over it, though honestly the black is pretty subtle; it just darkens the grain a touch). Also my first time throwing down a layer of shellac before buffing. I'm a huge fan now! It's easier to get a shine (and a longer-lasting one at that) and it relieves any worries about lifting stain in the buffing process.
This pipe's a gift for my oldest friend.

Growley

Re: Billiard Pipe (#4)

Post by Growley »

Nice job on your 4th. The stain and polish are pretty. I too have messed up a pipe or two because of working when I was too tired or didn't really have enough time to be working on them. I've learned that since I don't "have" to make pipes, I should stick to making them when I want to.

Keep up the good work.

Brian.
AldenW

Re: Billiard Pipe (#4)

Post by AldenW »

Growley wrote:Nice job on your 4th. The stain and polish are pretty. I too have messed up a pipe or two because of working when I was too tired or didn't really have enough time to be working on them. I've learned that since I don't "have" to make pipes, I should stick to making them when I want to.

Keep up the good work.

Brian.
Thanks Brian. Yep, it's a hard balance. I wanna keep working and improving, but I really have very little time. I made the mistaking of putting myself under a deadline; I promised pipes to a couple of friends come Thanksgiving.

Anyways, you too!