First pipe!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Todd_Pytel

First pipe!

Post by Todd_Pytel »

Finally done with my first pipe! I had a blast making this and look forward to many more.

It's got plenty of serious issues, both stylistic (some assymmetries that the pictures hide) and technical (drilled the chamber too deep and had to boost it with pipe mud). But I'm pleased with it overall. I take criticism pretty well, so you're welcome to add suggestions to my already long list of things to work on. Mostly I just want to get a lot more practice with shaping at this point - I was shooting for a more pronounced brandy shape but ended up taking too much off at the sides, so it became somewhat oblong lengthwise. That and I really need to experiment carefully with stains - the pipe came out more yellow than I wanted it because I was too impatient to practice stain any scraps. The stem/shank junction ended up looking better than I expected after trial and error with several different tools along the way. Though by the time I stopped making things worse, I had taken off enough wood that the bowl's curve at the shank didn't really match the other end anymore. And I need some 1000 grit paper for the stem. And, and, and...

Lots of fun in any event.
aaron

Post by aaron »

Allow me to be the first to congratulate you, that is an OUTSTANDING specimin (spelling) of a first pipe. Much better than most of the first attempts which I have seen. I really like how the pictures show it, even if you do have a list of things you are wanting to do better next time. That is what it is all about. Even as I try to sell my pipes, I learn something new EVERY time.

Good job

Aaron
I just want to be the best that I can be.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I second Aaron's thoughts, that is a GREAT first pipe. It definately is a learning process and I beleive if you talk to anyone on here they will tell you they are still learning new things with every new pipe. No matter how many pipes you have under your belt.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
marks

Post by marks »

That's a fine first effort! You're well on your way...
RAY

Post by RAY »

Hey Todd, GREAT first pipe!!! keep up the good work.

Aloha
Ray
Todd_Pytel

Re: First pipe!

Post by Todd_Pytel »

random wrote:The question is, how does it smoke?
It smokes dry and stays lit well, which is good. But the flavor is clearly a little funky from the pipe mud. From what I've read, that should smoke off soon enough.
Did you make this from a kit, or block'n'rod?
Block and molded stem. I'm really interested in handcut stem work, but I have enough to think about for the moment. Maybe after a few more I'll give it a try.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but the shank/stem junction is the thing about it that I like least...
I'd be disappointed if you were a dry blanket, Random. However, your comments make me realize that I mistyped earlier. I meant to say the "bowl/shank junction," otherwise the comments about balancing the curve on the other side of the bowl don't really make sense.
...but then I'm picky. See how the shank goes straight out and meets the stem nicely, then about 1/2" farther down the stem, the stem starts narrowing really fast? There's a corner there that sets my teeth on edge. Some people find it okay, some like me don't care for it; I think it breaks the lines where you don't want them broken.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I noticed that, but let it go, either because I was fatigued from everything else or because I was feeling too timid about screwing something up that far along. Timidity probably won't get me anywhere. I agree with you - the corner interrupts the line, though it doesn't bother me to the point of setting my teeth on edge. The bottom of the stem has a flatter taper - another unintended asymmetry - but it doesn't show very clearly in the photo. Is that more to your liking? (If you can see it...)
jmo, you know everybody has an opinion. :roll:
Of course. We've been over this before... :wink:
Don't waste a second worrying about the fact that the stain didn't come out the way you wanted it to.
I think it's less that the stain is terrible (it's not that bad, and it's grown on me) than it is that I really should have done some simple practice runs first. I lack patience sometimes.
Overall I think it's a great job for a first pipe. People think it'll be easy until they actually try it.
Thanks, to you and the others for your kind words. And especially to this forum - I'd have no freaking clue where to begin without it. I never thought it would be easy, though. Which is good, because it's not.
What tools are you using to shape?
Mostly a sanding disk chucked into the lathe, along with a Dremel and some files for the bowl/shank junction. I'm interested in experimenting with other things at some point, but I want to make sure I give myself enough time to get a good feel for the disk before I decide on something else.
ToddJohnson

Re: First pipe!

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:Some people may be able to just look at a block and reach for the right stain, but I have no idea how they do that.
Lots of trial runs first :)

Todd
JMB

Post by JMB »

Todd_Pytel and random,
I mean this in this best possible way.
If I had y'all's eye for detail, I would be the Best Pipe Maker out there. Todd great first pipe, you will go far.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Todd_Pytel and random,
I mean this in this best possible way.
If I had y'all's eye for detail, I would be the Best Pipe Maker out there. Todd great first pipe, you will go far.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

That's a nice pipe Todd. I wish my first one turned out that good. Looking forward to seeing your future pipes.

Chadd