Spend my money

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
bbeberle

Spend my money

Post by bbeberle »

Well I am very new to the pipe making scene and just finished my first one. I know now that I am 100% hooked and want to make this a very serious hobby. Like everything else I do I go balls to the wall. So I am giving y'all are fun opportunity to spend my money on tools.

Yes I have read the topic of what tools I need but I am curious to see how y'all would spend 800-1000 dollars on pipe making essentials.

Things to keep in mind....

1. I want to drill my own blocks (currently I cannot)
2. I want to be able to shape faster (obviously need a lathe)
3. I want to start doing my own stem work
4. I enjoy long walks on the beach
5. Needing a faster more efficient way to sand /rough shape
6. Will want to finish everything in house as well.

So, if I gave you 800-1000 dollars and said go crazy...what setup would you go with?
wmolaw

Re: Spend my money

Post by wmolaw »

bbeberle wrote:Well I am very new to the pipe making scene and just finished my first one. I know now that I am 100% hooked and want to make this a very serious hobby. Like everything else I do I go balls to the wall. So I am giving y'all are fun opportunity to spend my money on tools.

Yes I have read the topic of what tools I need but I am curious to see how y'all would spend 800-1000 dollars on pipe making essentials.

Things to keep in mind....

1. I want to drill my own blocks (currently I cannot)
2. I want to be able to shape faster (obviously need a lathe)
3. I want to start doing my own stem work
4. I enjoy long walks on the beach
5. Needing a faster more efficient way to sand /rough shape
6. Will want to finish everything in house as well.

So, if I gave you 800-1000 dollars and said go crazy...what setup would you go with?
Can't really get a metal lathe for that, so would buy a wood lathe. Here's a good one, and really cheap right now.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/riko ... 050VS.aspx

Will need some tower jaws, drill bits, etc., etc.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

First make out a check for $800.00 to Bob Clark and you're done. "That was easy" hope this helps
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Way to be a party pooper pipeguy lol
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Try to buy a good used metal lathe.

But it won;t take you for a walk on the beach. :mrgreen:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

pipeguy wrote:First make out a check for $800.00 to Bob Clark and you're done. "That was easy" hope this helps
Dammit Bob, you beat me to it!! :lol:

I second that Rikon. I have it and love it. I bought the stand too, it's crazy stable and I have NO issues with vibration (it is 100% level and checked every so often). I have the original Oneway chick with tower jaws. My turning tools are the Easy Wood Tools. Mr Teipen recomended them and they are great. I have the rougher, finisher and detailer. I bought a 3 dollar sanding disc and 100 grit sticky paper from Ace for shaping and a really nice french wheel from Tim West for sanding. Various drill bits and I am well under 1000 bucks with all my tooling.....I did already have a drill press, band saw and Rikon 1x30 belt/disc sander though. Still I don't think I am much over a grand. If you get the lathe you can do your own stem work too...that's how I do mine.

Hope you get outfitted....and don't worry, the boys shouldn't be too hard on your wallet :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

I'd say get the following:

- a midi sized wood lathe like the Rikon one often suggested on the forum - $250
- a Oneway chuck with #2 profiled tower jaws - $250
- a jacob's chuck
- a set of drills (taper point, extra long, regular, grounded spade , forstner)
- a set of gauges and chisels
- a set of buffs with different kinds of compound & carnauba wax
- a set of jewelers files
- a bunch of stains
- a bunch of sandpaper
- a padded hook&loop pad for sanding discs
- matching sanding disks

I'm just a rookie myself, but this would be a rather complete set up to get started I think. The only thing I'm missing is a bandsaw, which can come in handy to cut large parts of your blocks off when needed.

Depending on qualities you pick (drills, files and turning tools can be had cheap or really expensive) this'll easily deplete your $1000 budget, and you won't even have wood or stem material yet :-D

I've spent my money on a drill press first, then a dremel and some files, then wood & acrylic rod, then a bandsaw, an electro motor & french wheel, then a jacobs chuck and buffing wheels, then a sanding pad, 2 more electro motors and finally a myford super 7 metal lathe. Next up is a decent wood chuck and turning tools and more wood & acrylic. I'm about €1500 into this now I think. Will be around €2000 (or $2600) by the time I have my chuck and some tools...
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Massis wrote:I'd say get the following:

- a midi sized wood lathe like the Rikon one often suggested on the forum - $250
- a Oneway chuck with #2 profiled tower jaws - $250
- a jacob's chuck
- a set of drills (taper point, extra long, regular, grounded spade , forstner)
- a set of gauges and chisels
- a set of buffs with different kinds of compound & carnauba wax
- a set of jewelers files
- a bunch of stains
- a bunch of sandpaper
- a padded hook&loop pad for sanding discs
- matching sanding disks

I'm just a rookie myself, but this would be a rather complete set up to get started I think. The only thing I'm missing is a bandsaw, which can come in handy to cut large parts of your blocks off when needed.

Depending on qualities you pick (drills, files and turning tools can be had cheap or really expensive) this'll easily deplete your $1000 budget, and you won't even have wood or stem material yet :-D

I've spent my money on a drill press first, then a dremel and some files, then wood & acrylic rod, then a bandsaw, an electro motor & french wheel, then a jacobs chuck and buffing wheels, then a sanding pad, 2 more electro motors and finally a myford super 7 metal lathe. Next up is a decent wood chuck and turning tools and more wood & acrylic. I'm about €1500 into this now I think. Will be around €2000 (or $2600) by the time I have my chuck and some tools...
Unlike metal lathes, band saws you can find fairly cheap. Craigslist,etc. Hint, don't get the small ones, they ain't worth a crap. I think a 12 inch is about the minimum size one should buy. The big boys might have more and better information, however.

I actually have one almost just like this that i got for $100. A new blade, and it works wonderfully!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Craftsman-1 ... 416cee7ad3
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

just remember that these ahhem "gentlemen" may confuse you withe all these options.
Do not get carried away! Befor you spend one penny, make meout a check for $800.00 or cash if you perfer
no confusion, just good finacial advice :D
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I'm going to echo Scotties on the lathe and agree that this is a great model and at a good price. For a serious hobbyist like myself with very limited space and budget, I couldn't be happier with mine. I got mine new plus all new accessories and tooling to get it up and running to make pipes for under $500 by taking advantage of sales. Perhaps not yet if you need other essential tools first, but down the road I would also highly recommend a band saw. I use mine for squaring blocks and cutting away excess briar, as well as for cutting pen blanks and other small projects. I don't know how I ever lived without one.
*woodcraft is currently running a 20% off sale on sorby turning tools.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Alden

Post by Alden »

If you ever come out to Dallas, I have a Craftsman/Atlas 6" metal lathe I will probably be selling. Its really too small for turning most pipes but it runs like a champ and would be perfect for stemwork. I think market price would be somewhere around $550-$600 but I would sell it cheaper to a pipemaker. That and a small wood lathe would have you setup. Thats not an ideal setup for me, but if its an option that works for you let me know.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Power sanding, on a lathe, or a dedicated machine... whatever, you need dust collection, even if it's just a shop vac.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bbeberle

Post by bbeberle »

Alden wrote:If you ever come out to Dallas, I have a Craftsman/Atlas 6" metal lathe I will probably be selling. Its really too small for turning most pipes but it runs like a champ and would be perfect for stemwork. I think market price would be somewhere around $550-$600 but I would sell it cheaper to a pipemaker. That and a small wood lathe would have you setup. Thats not an ideal setup for me, but if its an option that works for you let me know.

ACUTALLLLLY....I am flying into DFW on the second. Let me think on it brother, I'll get with ya.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Sasquatch wrote:Power sanding, on a lathe, or a dedicated machine... whatever, you need dust collection, even if it's just a shop vac.
Can't comprehend that I left this out! (probably because my shop doesn't have dust collection yet..)

My first new investment is going to be a full face piece with particle filters (probably a 3M 6000 series), because I can't afford a decent dust collector yet...
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Massis wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Power sanding, on a lathe, or a dedicated machine... whatever, you need dust collection, even if it's just a shop vac.
Can't comprehend that I left this out! (probably because my shop doesn't have dust collection yet..)

My first new investment is going to be a full face piece with particle filters (probably a 3M 6000 series), because I can't afford a decent dust collector yet...
Seriously, can't believe I and others didn't mention this. Just a good sized shop vac will be great, with a face mask as well. YOu can clamp the business end to the lathe so that while you sand it will pick up 99% of the dust. Definitely needed, or you will have dust all over everything, everywhere, and you will be breathing it.
Massis

Post by Massis »

wmolaw wrote:
Massis wrote:

Seriously, can't believe I and others didn't mention this. Just a good sized shop vac will be great, with a face mask as well. YOu can clamp the business end to the lathe so that while you sand it will pick up 99% of the dust. Definitely needed, or you will have dust all over everything, everywhere, and you will be breathing it.
I have a shop vac, but it's a cheap ass one I got from my dad. It can only run for 10 mins before needing a 2min cooldown (says so in the manual...).

Needless to say there's currently dust everywhere...
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Oops....guess I just assumed that everyone had a shopvac. I use one with one of those cyclone bucket lids that Woodcraft sells for $20. I run my hose from the collection point into the bucket and then out and into the shopvac. It pulls out most of the particles so that I don't have to clean out the shopvac every day.
www.ladybriar.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

scotties22 wrote:Oops....guess I just assumed that everyone had a shopvac. I use one with one of those cyclone bucket lids that Woodcraft sells for $20. I run my hose from the collection point into the bucket and then out and into the shopvac. It pulls out most of the particles so that I don't have to clean out the shopvac every day.
I too bought one of those, and then promptly broke it! Might buy another this weekend. Does it make that much of a difference?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I really does. It catches quite a bit of the dust and all the wood shavings. I clean it out every week on trash day...which basically consists of taking the top off and dumping the bucket in the trash. Sure beats cleaning the shopvac filter all the time.
www.ladybriar.com
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

I recently purchased all of the materials to build this for dust collection. Just have to find the time...

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Here is where I purchased the ports;

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER
Michael Labo