Question for you Delta lathe users

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Question for you Delta lathe users

Post by Nick »

OK, so I'm fiddlin around with my lathe. Haven't turned anything on it yet, but will soon. Anyway, I was checking out the length of the tailstock thingy, you all know, where you put the jacobs chuck? As it turns out there is only 1 5/8 run to this thing. That just doesn't seem like enough to me. It'll cover the mortise easy, and most bowls, but what about the draught holes? No way you can drill a Canadian on there. (Is it me or does that just sound dirty?) Are there extension thingies availible? Or do I have to extend the thing to its full length, and move the tailstock when I reach as far as it can?
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nick,

I rarely crank the bit into a piece using the tailstock. Instead, I loosen the entire tailstock just to where it will begin to slide on the lathe bed and then push the whole thing toward the material to be drilled. The tailstock will keep it steady and centered and you are free to drill holes as long as your bits or bed length will allow. Of course, you will be unable to measure the depth of your bore on the tailstock as you would if you had used the crank, but you can just mark the bit with tape or a collar. I hope this makes sense and helps (and works!) It is a big timesaver for me, and is especially helpful when drilling rod stock because I can get the bit in and out very quickly to avoid overheating and melting the vulcanite.

Jeff
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

I have a Delta Midi Lathe and I do the same as random. I also agree that there is too much wobble on the tailstock when it is not secured.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I noticed the other day that I had been making a lot of OT posts on other people's post.

You figure that would stop me from doing it again, eh?

I'm only writing this post to complain about how much I want a lathe...

Man I want a lathe!