Help me choose a lathe chuck (stupid Question #2)

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Ocelot55

Help me choose a lathe chuck (stupid Question #2)

Post by Ocelot55 »

So I need some sort of chuck to get me started. I can't afford the really nice ones right now. My budget is about $250.

The nova chucks look good, but I've also read a lot of good things about the Oneway chuck on this forum. Any advice.
Sasquatch

Re: Help me choose a lathe chuck (stupid Question #2)

Post by Sasquatch »

They are pretty similar.

What lathe, and do they both have adapters that will fit for you?

The Oneway with profiled tower jaws is nice enough to get going with.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Okay, I'm doing some searching on woodcraft right now and can't seem to find what I need. How do I determine the size I need?

Here are the basic specs:

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/10-x-24- ... p_764.html

Any advice?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

You need a chuck with an 8 TPI (thread per inch) adapter. If I'm not mistaken you can measure the width of the lead screw (the part that your chuck screws onto) for the depth of the threads for the chuck you need. For example, 1" x 8 TPI is a pretty standard lead screw measurement.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, Wayne, remember I've got no clue about lathes. I'm confused. What does the lead screw diameter and tpi have to do with the spindle? I thought the lead screw was that long threaded rod that extends the whole lathe under the bed. The measurement on the lead screw on my lathe is 3/4" x 8 TPI. Would that also be the same for my spindle? I haven't been able to find a chuck that fits a 3/4" x 8 TPI spindle. Tons of 3/4" x 16 TPI, though.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Why dont you spend that money to send out the 4 jaw chuck you already have for some custom work ? Trent Rudat did mine and I'm pretty happy with the work.
Smokindawg here on the forum also makes custom jaws, at ridiculously cheap prices too.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

A three jaw chuck comes with mine. :?
Alden

Post by Alden »

Ocelot55 wrote:A three jaw chuck comes with mine. :?
Ah, ok. The 3 jaw will be good for holding rodstock.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

When I bought my used jet 9x20 I had to purchase a different chuck. I had a one way on my delta midi but the spindle threads are much bigger on the jet. I bought a scroll chuck from grizzly for less than $100. The bolt pattern is even the same as the one way so the jaws will work. The only difference is that the screws that hold the jaws are smaller on the grizzly. So I drilled and tapped them out and now the jaws interchange. I use jaws of my own making and the cheap chuck has works well for a couple years now.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, so I'm pretty sure the guy I bought my lathe from also included a back plate. It's a big heavy metal disk thingy (that's the technical ignoramus term). So can I use that to attach a chuck such as:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-Ja ... huck/G9833

Would this chuck be suitable for pipe making?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Thats a funny looking 3 jaw chuck, do you count different in the US? :lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

wdteipen wrote:You need a chuck with an 8 TPI (thread per inch) adapter. If I'm not mistaken you can measure the width of the lead screw (the part that your chuck screws onto) for the depth of the threads for the chuck you need. For example, 1" x 8 TPI is a pretty standard lead screw measurement.
Just a quibble: the "lead screw" is the threaded bit on the front of the lathe that drives the carriage during threading operations. The thing the chuck attaches to is called "spindle threads".

If your lathe is a 10" Jet, it will have a minimum spindle thread of 1.5"-8, since the spindle bore is over an inch. Unfortunately the page you linked to does not say what the spindle threads are, so be sure to measure them before buying a chuck.

You can also get a regular Oneway chuck with tower jaws as Sas mentioned, then get a spindle adapter. They are available for a handful of common thread sizes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com