My fifth attempt....but, alas, no pipe in the end....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Yarnspinner

My fifth attempt....but, alas, no pipe in the end....

Post by Yarnspinner »

I just posted a picture of my attempt at my fifth pipe in the photo gallery. I'm sure most everyone who has made a few pipes has done something similar to this at one point or other. The question is: Who is willing to admit it? ;)
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've gotten the walls pretty thin before, but not that thin. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
aaron

Post by aaron »

I will be honest. I have two pipes here at my house that I know there is a thin wall. However, My biggest foul up came the day that I was talking to a buddy and drilling the air hole. I noticed that I had drilled too far into the small chuchwarden stummel, but when I roughed it out on the band-saw, sure enuff, I had drilled right through the front of the pipe... and this was probably my 18th pipe... so do not feel bad.

Aaron
I just want to be the best that I can be.
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

that is pretty thin!!! you can see through it 8O . (just kidding) I had a bulldog I was working on and wasn't paying attention to the chamber and came pretty close, not all the way through but too thin to finish it. I now use that as a shop pipe and if it burns through or gets dropped oh well. I think your pipe might be a little hard to salvage.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Nice two hole-er. Been there, done that. lol In the end it makes for a good store. Gives the grand kids something to remember you by.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I did this on my first ever pipe that I tried to do with only hand chizels, no sand paper or nothing....
Nick

Post by Nick »

I made one pipe where the walls were too thin. As a matter of fact, the thing burnt out at the thinnest point. Bleechh. As for other monumental screw ups, I picked up thes nice little snadblasted Tsuge Ikebana the other day. Great pipe, and a great price. The previous owner had sanded down the shank to accept a mor traditional stems, so I got it for a song. Well, as I've been doing to most of my pipes, I wanted to open up the draught passage. So I chick up my trusty bit, and slowly start drilling away. "Hmmm, wheres' that bit?" I say to myself as I look into the bowl. Just as i finish the thought, I feel a little somthing in my hand. Sure enough I'd missed the f-ing draught hole and drilled through the bottom of the pipe. F-ing bonehead!!! Gawd I am such a goof!! Never even got to smoke it. I might try some glue or somthing, I don't know. I just tossed the pipe in a basket in disgust.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Yarnie, I have to admit, I've never done that. :)

I have, however on several occasions gone too far into the shank at the shank/bowl juncture and hit the smoke hole. :lol:

If you've never done either of these things, you will. :wink:

Rad
marks

Post by marks »

I came real close to drilling the tobacco chamber clean through the bottom of the block once. Needless to say, I went waaaayyy past the draft hole. :oops:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mark,

Ain't that a pisser? And it always happens with a block that's got *really* good grain. :oops:

Rad
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

After making a several pipes from predrilled kits I went to drill my first blocks. The first one was perfect! Dead on! I felt like a god :twisted:

I grabbed a second block and drilled the tobacco hole. All seemed to be going as planned. I start to drill the draft whole. All seemed fine. The bit went to the depth that I wanted so I looked in the tobacco chamber and no draft hole or bit could be seen. I drilled further with the draft bit, still nothing. So further and further I went and checking over and over. I thought that I was breaking the laws of physics because the draft whole was way too deep to not hit the tobacco chamber. I gave it a last few millimeters and out popped the bit. Out of the back of the block! I failed to drill my tobacco chamber deep enough! :oops: The god was dead!
Nick

Post by Nick »