Chamber Bits...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
scotties22

Chamber Bits...

Post by scotties22 »

So I have been getting by on the Pimo chamber bits since I started making pipes. my 3/4 inch needs to be replaced. I am too much of a chicken to get a spade bit and make my own......fraid I'll hurt myself. I was hoping one of you might have a good quality spare that you could part with. Straight or taper...doesn't really matter at this point. Or should I just buy one from Tim West? Thanks boyses....

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
AlanP

Re: Chamber Bits...

Post by AlanP »

First off, I would like to preface that i'm no pro. I just had my first attempt at pipe making maybe a month ago. I've also really never done any kind of woodwork.

Not being sure if I could do it or whatever, I didn't want to spend any more money than I had to. I got a spade bit I had lying around, and drew out what shape I wanted with a sharpie. Took it to my grinder and decided at worst I was only going to be losing a few bucks. I ground both sides down till I got into my sharpie mark. I traced around both sides and found the side that I liked the best. then I just made the other side match that by flipping it back and forth to check the profiles of it and marking on the spade where I needed to do some work. I'm sure it's not perfect, and it may not be the way it's supposed to be done, but it puts a pretty solid hole in the wood.

Also, when grinding make sure you don't grind on the cutting side of the bit, no sense in having to sharpen it forever after you get done.

Also, this was my first post WOOT! I had to quit lurking sometime.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

It's really not too difficult to make your own from a spade bit. If you really don't want to look for a 3/4" or 19/20mm ball nosed end mill, they make great chamber bits.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Thanks for the end mill suggestion. I just picked one up from Enco. I hadn't thought of that.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

you really need to just jump in a make your own spade bits.. after the first 2 it's easy.... I've been using them for years. I've tried modifying S&D bits .. failed miserably.. but spade bits I can turn out in no time.. actually that is really all I use, I just got my freehand bits from Brad a few weeks ago and will learn how to use them here in a few weeks..until them.. the spade bits are my best friend..

and instead of replacing the 3/4's just put a new edge on it and make smaller pipes.. you end up normally going from a 19/20 mm chamber to 16/17mm chamber

james
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The trick with the spade bits is in getting one side to match the other or else only one side will actually be cutting. Spinning the bits against the disc of a right angle grinder (also spinning) is one way to do it. Much care is then needed to grind the clearance on the edges or you'll screw up the matched sides that you so painstakingly worked on. Spade bits are cheap and you can make any contour you want. Cut off the shank to as short as possible and they will cut smoother.
Personally I prefer the modified Silver & Deming twist drills. Expensive but they cut a lot faster and smoother than the spades. I got mine from Ken Lamb and he will resharpen them for free.
It has been hashed many times on this board that you can make an excellent pipe with VERY basic tools. One starts pouring the money in the slot when speed and ease of doing a given task are desired. If all you want to do is make pipes for yourself and a few friends then use the KISS principle. If you have loftier goals then you'll have to dig deep at some point.
Chas.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Pipe Makers Emporium also has the S&D bits
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Yet another source for S & Ds that I am aware of is Trent Rudat. If anyone knows of any others, put'em up.
Chas.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ken Lamb makes them too.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I use both the spade bits and the ball end mills. I like the ball end mills for most pipes, but once in a while you want something with a different shaped chamber and as said, you can make a spade bit into any desired shape easily and they drill pretty well even as hard as briar is.
Pipe Maker in the Making!