Deleted

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Gatorade

Deleted

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think an MRI would probably be better. :)

If MRI, or X-ray did work, I can't imagine any briar seller letting someone do it prior to purchase.

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

RadDavis wrote:I think an MRI would probably be better. :)

If MRI, or X-ray did work, I can't imagine any briar seller letting someone do it prior to purchase.

Rad
Chris Keene used to have an old Kaywoodie catalog on his site -- they had X ray photos of pipes, claimed to X ray all their wood in order not to sell a pipe with a hidden burnout-waiting-to-happen. I'm sure it would work, and I've heard of makers doing it -- it's just a matter of access to the equipment.
JMB

Post by JMB »

I am reaching way back in years, but I remember when I was a Kid, there was a X Ray machine in the Sears Shoe Dept. You could stand and put your feet/shoes in the bottom and you could look thru a slot and see how they fit. Would work the same IMO. Good idea.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I prefer open MRI for all of my pipes. It's more certain :o

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I prefer open MRI for all of my pipes. It's more certain
Not to mention less claustrophobic for the poor briar.

You do indeed treat your briar well.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

I've take the lead of the foremost pipemaker in America on this one. Understanding the financial limitations created by pipemaking and the absence of a reasonably priced MRI or x-ray unit available on the consumer market has inspired me to go a step beyond. Instead of checking the briar for flaws, I remove the flaws from the briar. Now, this is done by the transformation of conventional (BAD) briar blocks into a space-age, experimental material (GOOD!) which is created by grinding up the highest grade, Mimmo cut, plateaux briar into dust and then pressing it with a completely neutral tasting, heat-resistant bondo material (sorry, it's a secret formula) into freehand pipe forms that are designed by the world's best carvers (Lars, Jess, Tom, Venturi, et. al.)* Thus, you are guaranteed a perfect, flaw-free briar (product) pipe. For an extra charge I paint straight grain on the sides. I call this new material Brylacene! Check my website for new Brylacene offerings! :lol:

JAG

*Licensing agreements from these pipemakers is forthcoming.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

jeff wrote:I've take the lead of the foremost pipemaker in America on this one. Understanding the financial limitations created by pipemaking and the absence of a reasonably priced MRI or x-ray unit available on the consumer market has inspired me to go a step beyond. Instead of checking the briar for flaws, I remove the flaws from the briar. Now, this is done by the transformation of conventional (BAD) briar blocks into a space-age, experimental material (GOOD!) which is created by grinding up the highest grade, Mimmo cut, plateaux briar into dust and then pressing it with a completely neutral tasting, heat-resistant bondo material (sorry, it's a secret formula) into freehand pipe forms that are designed by the world's best carvers (Lars, Jess, Tom, Venturi, et. al.)* Thus, you are guaranteed a perfect, flaw-free briar (product) pipe. For an extra charge I paint straight grain on the sides. I call this new material Brylacene! Check my website for new Brylacene offerings! :lol:

JAG

I'm sorry Jeff, but this method has already been perfected and, therefore, any patent pending you might have is unlikely to come through. I believe it was in the 60's that a group of scientists came out with "Brylar," a composite of briar dust and resin. Back to the ole' marketing machine drawing board for you I guess. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

ToddJohnson wrote:
jeff wrote:I've take the lead of the foremost pipemaker in America on this one. Understanding the financial limitations created by pipemaking and the absence of a reasonably priced MRI or x-ray unit available on the consumer market has inspired me to go a step beyond. Instead of checking the briar for flaws, I remove the flaws from the briar. Now, this is done by the transformation of conventional (BAD) briar blocks into a space-age, experimental material (GOOD!) which is created by grinding up the highest grade, Mimmo cut, plateaux briar into dust and then pressing it with a completely neutral tasting, heat-resistant bondo material (sorry, it's a secret formula) into freehand pipe forms that are designed by the world's best carvers (Lars, Jess, Tom, Venturi, et. al.)* Thus, you are guaranteed a perfect, flaw-free briar (product) pipe. For an extra charge I paint straight grain on the sides. I call this new material Brylacene! Check my website for new Brylacene offerings! :lol:

JAG

I'm sorry Jeff, but this method has already been perfected and, therefore, any patent pending you might have is unlikely to come through. I believe it was in the 60's that a group of scientists came out with "Brylar," a composite of briar dust and resin. Back to the ole' marketing machine drawing board for you I guess. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Todd
Whew. I'm glad you didn't reveal the name of my source for this info. They are so prestigious, and the pipes so heralded in this community of saints, that I hazard to guess what the conseqences would be if they found out that I was usurping and rebranding their process. However, it is appropriate to distinguish between myself and these other highly reputed pioneer pipers. First, I'm using Mimmo's briar. No further explanation necessary. Second, I'm using a neutral tasting special mixture to bond the so-called "dust" of the finest quality briar in the world together into the shapes of these Masters. FWIW, I haven't settled on a pricing structure yet, but it will be between $400 and $800. :)

Back to the briar presses! Suckers!

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

"Buy my sawdust pipes! SUCKERS!" - Precious Roy
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

random wrote:now when is that Tyler character going to get tired enough of his new toy to start selling some good wood?
What's Tyler's new toy?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

random wrote:now when is that Tyler character going to get tired enough of his new toy to start selling some good wood?
What's Tyler's new toy?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hheheheheheheee!

My dad is a radiologist. Back in the day, I would get x-rayed all the time. If I twisted and ankle, better get an x-ray. Fell out of a tree, x-ray. Crash the bike? You guessed it. If he was still working at OSU, I bet he would run a few block through an x-ray or CT scanner or somthing. If I can, I still want to get a piece or two zapped just for display purposes. It'd be way cool to have framed or somthing.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

A Treo 650.

8)
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

So you left us for a PDA/Cell Phone? :?

I use my PDA to post here sometimes.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

That and a trip out of town. The baby had a check up in Ft. Worth for her hip that would dislocate. She got the green light...it has healed perfectectly and should never be an issue. :D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Glad to hear alls well bud.