My first(3) attempts

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Chadd

My first(3) attempts

Post by Chadd »

Well, here's my first three pipes. I'd love some honest criticism.

This was my first from a PIMO pre-drill. The photo doesn't reveal this very well, but the shank gets narrower(and flat on top) as it connects to the stummel... Oh well, gotta keep trying.

This is attempt #2 using an unbored block. The sides have are a bit flat, giving it an awkward look in person. I also learned that the stem/shank fit here is trickier than I thought (it's not a real tight fit).

Finally.
This little thing leaves me wondering if I should just find another hobby. The Rim/Head is very thin as a result of me taking too much off around the top and the shape is...uh...pretty ugly. I was attempting to make an apple-shaped pipe, but without a lathe, I find it very difficult to get a well rounded body. It does smoke nice though. Are there any lathe-less techniques for obtaining perfectly rounded bodies, or should I just save up for a lathe?
Image.

Thanks for any advice etc.
Chadd
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hey guy. Those aren't too bad at all. You can definatly see your pipes getting better with each try. I like the last one the best. The shank/bowl junction is a bit week. If you took off a bit more wood there, the pipe would look alot better I think. Don't worry too much about the thin walls. As long as you use good wood, it should be fine, plus will be a nice light piece.

The second pipe is nice too. Its not too late to take a bit more off on the shank you know. Give it a bit more flaired shank maybe.

Don't give up! Honestly, I've really enjoyed the first few pipes I've made because each time I can see an improvement.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Chadd,

You are being too hard on yourself...which I guess is not necessarily a bad thing at times. I have a tendancy to be the same way. Those pipes are great first pipes. Nothing to be ashamed of there at all!

As for not using a lathe, I don't use a lathe either. My only advice is to do a little and check symmetry, do a little more and check symmetry. That is my best advice is to constantly check your symmetry and your overall lines. I use a dremel, a rasp and various shape/size files to do my shaping and with all I make sure that I constantly keep an eye on the overall picture too make sure that I do not take off too much.

Hope this helps!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Chadd,

Those aren't bad at all. Nick made some valid points.

I don't use a lathe for shaping, and can get pretty well rounded symmetrical Billiards, apples, etc. You just have to practice and at first, go very slow. Always be looking at the stummel from all angles as you shape, and try to determine where material has to come off for it to look right.

It's a slow process at first, but with practice, you get faster.

Hope this helps,

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ditto what rad said, I don't shape on a lathe either. What I have done is memorize certain tell tale angles that really tell the story of the shape. Like Rad said always look at it from several angles but you'll find ones that really show what shape your ending up with.

What type of a sander are you using? I have a $100 belt/disc sander and it works great for what I need.

If you are worried about the bowl as it flows down from the chamber and or the roundness of the bowl, looking straight down at the pipe trying to center your eye on the bowl will tell you alot about how much wood is on all sides of the bowl.
bluesmk

first attemps:

Post by bluesmk »

Chadd,
I'm still my worst critic...maybe it's not a bad way to be, but by all means don't give up! My first few pipes are burried out back with lime sprinkled on them!
I dont use a lathe on my stummles, only on stem work.
I used to use a hole cutter to gently score the top of the block to check for roundness. That was short live because I was comitted to the cut.
I invested in some architech templets with graduating circles and use a sketch pencil to mark the top of the block...much more forgiving. I too check from all angles, and especially from the top for roundness. Keep it up! Best of luck. And keep us posted.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

Good work. I agree with most of the comments the others gave. I'm sure you will see improvement in your pipes as you make more. hope to see more from you in the future.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Thanks guys. I've spent the last two night working on #4, which I think it my best yet. It's a very tiny little thing, but that's mainly due to the briar I was using(full of little pits etc). I took my time and checked and double-checked the symmetry and *carefully* worked the rim out. I'll try to get a decent photo of it.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

Chadd
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

chadd,

Not bad on all 3 of them. to get the bowl rounded without a lathe it just takes practice. you did get the freehand shaped pipe rounded on the bottom front of ther bowl. just do that all over the 2 sides and you will have it down.

But to tell you the truth the top pipe and the bottom pipe are the * ok* of the 3. now that second pipe, the freehand, it is a very nice pipe. Maybe you should do freehand pipes for now till you get your practice up. Standard shapes are hard to execute correctly its just the tiny suttle things that make a huge difference on whether the pipe looks right or not.
But all in all not bad for the first 3 attempts. like i said IMO the freehand seems to be what you are best at, for right now anyways.

To tighten that stem up a bit on the pipe just heat the tenon up and push on it from the end a bit. it will make the tenon swell a bit and tighten it up for you. just dont get it too hot or it will melt. i just use a lighter and turn the stem around slowly till i feel it is hot enough, ( about 30-45 seconds) and try it, if its not hot, try a few more seconds at a time till it is.

if you mess it up just heat it up and leave it alone and it will go back to the size it was originally. if its a good quality vulcanite or acrylic anyways. it kind of has a memory if you will and when heated will bend back to its original shape.

Or just do like i do , if the stem is loose just go make another one. sometimes thats the easier way to do it, atleast for me it is.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Thought I'd show pipes 4 and 5. Both are considerably better in my opinion. The ebauchons are from PIMO and had some pits, but they are mere cosmetic and actually add a little character.

This one has an oval stem. The shadows make this look asymetrical...much better in person.

Thanks for looking.
Chadd