A sort of elephant's foot

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wmolaw

A sort of elephant's foot

Post by wmolaw »

Same caveats as before, still using preformed stems and know it's hard to critique non standard shapes.

Still, just wanted some idea as to what I'm doing well, and not so well. Have no clue as to either, actually.

I thought this stem worked, at first. I don't think so now. Going to go to a black stem.

Are the photos too large?

d.huber

Re: A sort of elephant's foot

Post by d.huber »

So, here's what I see:

1. You can remove a lot more material. I think that the shape is pretty cool, but you could refine the shape by chopping off most of the bowl beneath the shank that has no grain and bring the bottom to a point for a pick-axe which I think would be more elegant.
2. If you made the lines on the front and back of the bowl follow each other more closely, your overall shape will look better. In the photos, it appears to have a pot-belly.
3. I think going to a black stem is a great move. I'd also create a more fluid bend in the next stem. The kink in this one is unattractive, IMO.
4. Your tenon is showing! *giggles*

Your shank/bowl junction looks good, I dig the small panels, and the finish looks pretty nice.

But hell, what do I know? I'm only on number six! :P
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wmolaw

Re: A sort of elephant's foot

Post by wmolaw »

UberHuberMan wrote:So, here's what I see:

1. You can remove a lot more material. I think that the shape is pretty cool, but you could refine the shape by chopping off most of the bowl beneath the shank that has no grain and bring the bottom to a point for a pick-axe which I think would be more elegant.
2. If you made the lines on the front and back of the bowl follow each other more closely, your overall shape will look better. In the photos, it appears to have a pot-belly.
3. I think going to a black stem is a great move. I'd also create a more fluid bend in the next stem. The kink in this one is unattractive, IMO.
4. Your tenon is showing! *giggles*

Your shank/bowl junction looks good, I dig the small panels, and the finish looks pretty nice.

But hell, what do I know? I'm only on number six! :P
As with most, I was getting concerned about getting into the tobacco chamber. Not sure it has as much "pot" as it looks in the photos, but I do see what you mean.

As to the portion under the shank, when I saw that the grain had failed me (how strange, one side is great, but the other side the grain just disappeared!), I thought of that but I had just made a pickax and wanted to go with what I had in mind originally, maybe that wasn't such a great idea!

I now see what you mean about the stem, will be more careful on the next one!

Thanks, the more I learn. Hell, this is about my tenth or so briar, haven't really been counting. Did several in cherry to try to get my draught hole/chamber/mortise right.