Cumberland Canadian

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alden

Cumberland Canadian

Post by Alden »

Just finished up my first Canadian. This is block #5, I broke two shanks and lost two to fatal flaws in the bowl :banghead:
The extension is stabilized Rosewood burl and the cumberland is from the last group buy.
Approximately 7 inches long X 2 inches tall.
Critica mucho apreciado.

Sasquatch

Re: Cumberland Canadian

Post by Sasquatch »

IF you knock the top 1/4" off the bowl, you'll have a billiard shape. Right now it's pretty eggy.

I'm unconvinced by the adornment. If it's a Canadian, the shank is cylindrical and the stem tapers. As is, apparently the rosewood is part of the stem, the longest band in the world? So that part of the shaping is un-Canadian.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

So the shank should have no taper at all and the bowl walls should be straighter ?
I agree on the eggyness of the bowl, its where my shaping naturally wants to go... I need to focus on that.
I'm starting to figure out how to shape a pipe, and realizing I have never paid attention to the rules of the shapes. That makes sense really, I've never paid much attention to rules in general.
What about the proportions here ?
I'm vaguely aware that math is involved, but I dont know the rules of "golden ratio" either. I basically divided everything up in 2" & 1.5" lengths. Stem is 2", shank extension 1.5", shank 2", bowl width 1.5", front of bowl 2" back of bowl 1.5" (roughly).
I am interested in getting all of this right, and appreciate criticism.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't think there's hard and fast rules to make a pipe look good, but the basic billiard proportion is 50/50 stem and stummel for length, and mix in that the length of the shank and the height of the bowl from the shank should be about the same, you'll get a good starting point. The longer shanked pipes look good with the same basic proportions, but with a longer shank and equally shorter stem.

You're really close - like I say, if you knock the top of that bowl off you'll get a very classic billiard shape out of it. Not saying '"do it" but that's more the overall shape you are after - the hint of the rounding in at the top without actually really rounding over that edge.
Alden

Post by Alden »

So the bowl is easy to visualize 1/4" shorter and aim for that as a finished shape. I think I'm up to speed with you there.
On the shank, the biggest mistake is tapering the shank extension, instead of keeping the taper on the stem alone ?
The shank and stem are oval throughout the pipe.
The extension is mounted on the shank, but I was planning to put it on the stem next time.
Should the dividing line between shank/extension still be in the center of the pipe next time ? Maybe with a longer stem/shorter extension ?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The shank extension should look like shank and not like stem, ie no taper. IF you look at a Dunhill like this one...

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estat ... t_ID=71143 you can see what the profile does.

As for where to put the split... I think that depends on all kinds of stuff - how long the extension is, how long the pipe is, I'm not sure it's mathemetizable. Make it look "right". And that may be in the eye of the beholder somewhat. But I guess for myself, a 1" long piece of material is no longer a highlight, but a dominant feature, and is more likely than not just going to break up the pipe visually as opposed to adding some interest in a subtle or elegant way.