Worst pipe gadget ever?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Sasquatch

Worst pipe gadget ever?

Post by Sasquatch »

My vote is the Jobey Link. This is a combination of a screw-in tenon and a smurf-sized drinking straw. Bad airflow, bad geometry, and an indescribably wet smoke. Gurgle city.

It's really funny because I have two almost identical pipes, one a Jobey and one an old Sasieni, and the Sasieni is about 10 times better because it lacks this "feature".
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wmolaw

Re: Worst pipe gadget ever?

Post by wmolaw »

Sasquatch wrote:My vote is the Jobey Link. This is a combination of a screw-in tenon and a smurf-sized drinking straw. Bad airflow, bad geometry, and an indescribably wet smoke. Gurgle city.

It's really funny because I have two almost identical pipes, one a Jobey and one an old Sasieni, and the Sasieni is about 10 times better because it lacks this "feature".
Agreed, I have three or so Jobeys, only bought one, was given the others, and none of them smoke worth a crap.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm not familiar with the Jobey Link but I really dislike any kind of threaded tenon. I once repaired an old diamond shanked pipe with a threaded acrylic tenon. The female threads were worn so the stem didn't line up right. It was a terrible idea and design especially for a pipe that required such a precise stem alignment.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The Jobey link is aweful, but I'd take it over a Carey "magic inch" any day!
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Ocelot55 wrote:The Jobey link is aweful, but I'd take it over a Carey "magic inch" any day!
Hmm, really? At least with a Carey you can replace the stem without great difficulty. Actually, I have had two Carey's that smoke great and have great briar. I know you have to cull and go through many that are just worthless, but there are gems in the woodpile, so to speak.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wmolaw wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:The Jobey link is aweful, but I'd take it over a Carey "magic inch" any day!
Hmm, really? At least with a Carey you can replace the stem without great difficulty. Actually, I have had two Carey's that smoke great and have great briar. I know you have to cull and go through many that are just worthless, but there are gems in the woodpile, so to speak.

Conceded. Although I've never heard of any Carey that smoked well until now, but at least you can replace the stems on them easily enough, unlike all the crap made mid-century with the fancy stingers and what not.