Hello from another new member

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
snapper

Hello from another new member

Post by snapper »

Just wanted to say hello to all. I started making stems for my "bowl only" buys off ebay. That progressed so now I have hacked away at a few pieces of briar. I have three that I wouldn't be too embarassed to show someone (other than one of the pros). I already have learned a ton from the forum before joining and now I look forward to participating. Thanks!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Hello from another new member

Post by Tyler »

Welcome!
tommy24a

Post by tommy24a »

Welcome from another Newbie!
I play the bagpipes, heck when I started they said there were only 9 notes on a bagpipe. I said how hard can it be? lol
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tyler wrote:Welcome!
What he said!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nate wrote:
Tyler wrote:Welcome!
What he said!
What they said.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

welcome to the forum.. enjoy your stay

james
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Don't be afraid to post your work. It's the only way you're gonna get feedback which leads to improvement. Welcome.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's intimidating to show off a pipe to people who make awesome pipes (and make it look easy). But the fact is, everyone has the same learning curve, and everyone here who has actually gotten good at making pipes got there by learning about how to make nice pipes, and the... only ... way to do that is to show yours, take some ideas from the "big boys", and apply them to the next one. Nobody's going to say "Wow, that sucks."

Well, I might, but only to Nate. :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Welcome indeed! Don't worry bout Sasquatch, he's just a smelly ol' Canadian anyways.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Thank you Sasquatch. You verbalized (or typed) what I was thinking much better than I did. I actually had James Gilliam stop by my place recently when he was in town a few weeks back and I had him critique one of the pipes I was working on. I was pretty nervous at first, but afterwords I am very glad that I showed it to him. Getting feedback from someone who knows what they are doing can be immensly beneficial if you are receptive and open to it. I also showed that same pipe to :notworthy: Erik Nording at a local show after it was finished. He was also very helpful and encouraging.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Emmanuel

thanks..it was nice chatting with you and enjoy a bowl of good tobacco... you wife makes great pizza by the way...

advice.. just really read what people write. most here are actually trying to help.. pass on advice and help you grow.. it looks like I'll be back in the Norfolk area end of October/beginning on November.. there are 100 things you COULD do better with that pipe, but it is fine for the place where you are at right now.. maybe if my visit is longer we can actually do something together. I know that when I travel I cherish.. yes cherish.. every moment I get w/others in the hobby/business...there is sssoooooo much to learn...

my two cents.. visit others as often as you can.... listen to what they have to say.. and make an adult decision about what is good for you... I know those that have actually taken to time to critique.. vice just say.. ohhh thats nice... have actually aided me in my own journey

james