Scofield Pipes "Heritage"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

Scofield Pipes "Heritage"

Post by bscofield »

I get to keep this one for myself... I cracked this by pressing it down on a dowel rod too hard :cry:

Alas! At least the crack was only there cause of the extreme pressue on the dowel rod. So the crack is there but came back together nearly perfectly. Sort of nice for me because i REALLY like the way it came out and I've only ever kept crap for myself. What do you all think?

Standard criticisms are welcome and desired.

FYI, I called it Heritage because the inlay is Oak. Because it was Oak and Oak seems to be very American, I thought that Heritage would be a fitting name.

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ben,

That is a very nice pipe. I like the shape and I really like the staining.

I am working on a pipe right now that I plan on keeping for myself. Kind of my late Christmas present to myself.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

Hello Scofield !

I think it's a very nice pipe. I would like to make such a beautiful pipe, I like the shape, the staining and the ring !
Very cool, maybe the stem is a little bit big at the end (mouth) ?

Happy smoking,
David.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Hmm. Perhaps. I had a slight problem (at the very beginning) when smoking it which I thought was due to the lip size which is sort of small. But now I see that it may be because of the width of the stem at the lip. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hey guy!

Nice looking pipe. I'll echo the previous two folks in lauding the staining. The stem does seem a bit thick to my eye. Perhaps a thinner stem would make it more graceful. Additionally, I think some sharper edges on the top of the bolw would make this pipe a real looker. The rounded edge on the scoop seem a bit soft. The stem fit looks right on. Nice job on that!

All in all it looks like a keeper!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ben,

What is the shank extension material? I know you said you were working on one with an oak extension, is this the pipe?
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

The original design called for a flat top but there was a crack coming down from the plateaux for about as far as the dip goes. So that was a work-around (don't tell anyone :) )
stdly

Post by stdly »

Ben,
Very nice the stain as said is great.
Like Nick said the stem is a bit thick looking and if thined it looks like it could be a very nice light pipe that you forget is in your mouth at times.
Enjoy!
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

well the stem is thick (to a degree) on purpose. I liked the look of the continued girth through the stem. However, it has caused a small issue with the width around the bit.

Now the question is does the pipe maker fix his own pipe?! :)

How's that old saying go? "A plumbers sink always leaks."
marks

Post by marks »

Nice looking pipe. Looks like you did a very nice job on the stem fit and the shank extension.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Nick wrote: "I think some sharper edges on the top of the bolw would make this pipe a real looker."

I have two pipes with bowls like this. One "round" and one with "sharper edges." After 5 years I can't decided which one I like best. BTW they both smoke great, just wish the stain look like yours.