Chucking On A Budget

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Chucking On A Budget

Post by KurtHuhn »

The ones I get are spiral sewn, then I cut and remove the outer ring or two of stitches. That makes them perfect for me and the way I work - that may or may not work for you. Get three - tripoli, white diamond, and carnuba. Then the last buff is a very soft wheel run at low RPM. In fact I step down to a 6" wheel for the final one just so that I reduce the surface speed to where I need it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
AldenW

Re: Chucking On A Budget

Post by AldenW »

KurtHuhn wrote:The ones I get are spiral sewn, then I cut and remove the outer ring or two of stitches. That makes them perfect for me and the way I work - that may or may not work for you. Get three - tripoli, white diamond, and carnuba. Then the last buff is a very soft wheel run at low RPM. In fact I step down to a 6" wheel for the final one just so that I reduce the surface speed to where I need it.
Hey, I've seen your pipes. If it works for you, it works for me. Thanks for the tips!

I don't get to actually set up until we clear out the the 'stuff' room at the beginning of September. For now it's just a tool round-up. Thanks everybody for helpin' me out, I'll come back with any other questions and I promise pictures of some ugly pipes come Fall! I've got some practice chunks of plain cherry waiting to be turned.