Bulky Sitter

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Gershom

Bulky Sitter

Post by Gershom »

These are all the pictures that I could get tonight, but I just wanted some input on the shape/flow of the pipe. I have to finish shaping it, staining it, and bending the stem, but I wanted to know what you thought first. It is a bit on the bulky side, but it feels good in the hand. Should I take more off the stummel?

Opinions welcomed!

Batchelor_of_Briar

Re: Bulky Sitter

Post by Batchelor_of_Briar »

At the moment it has a bit of a Bruce Campbell chin going on, I'd be tempted to take some material off the front there. The shank is looking good to me. How are you thinking of finishing it? Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Gershom wrote:Should I take more off the stummel?
As for me, yes.
Let me play the Sas for you:

This is what I'd try to make.
Since your stummel has a slight backward cant, a chin is not a bad thing to go for, but you need more flow & definition ...

Jens
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I agree with both posted replies. I want to take more off the stummel, while keeping the shape. I also want to keep it a sitter. So, we shall see in the next couple posts. Thank you for your input!
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Yes, and as Jos illustrated, increase the flare of the shank which seems to be an important part of the freehand vocabulary.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Here are the finished results. Please give feedback!

Sanded to 600, then Tripoli, then Carnuba.

If I added White Buffing Compound into the process, would the pipes turn out glossier? Thanks for your input.