new compressor

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
JHowell

new compressor

Post by JHowell »

For anyone contemplating the purchase of an air compressor for sandblasting, I just got my new 80 gal two stage compressor running, blasted my first pipe at home, and I'd say it's a perfectly adequate machine. It's from Home Despot -- a 7hp "Husky" by Campbell Hausfeld, iron cylinders. I've blasted several pipes using a friend's 60-gal single stage, and it is *not* adequate. The compressor I got is less powerful than some 2-stages, but there's a pretty big jump from it ($900-ish with tax) to the next rung ($1500-1700), and with my siphon cabinet it keeps up just fine. I'm also using a refrigerated line dryer from Harbor Freight, and have had zero problems with moisture/clogging. For what it's worth,
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

With Christmas a day behind us, and my pocketses full of Lowes gift cards, I'm considering getting a blasting setup in my shop.

Between here and my autobody buddies I've pretty had all my questions answered. My only remaining question is - how long does it normally take to get a good finish? Jack, your blasts are quite amazing. How long did it take you to get that new dublin blasted?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com