32-12 'Pyrica'

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

32-12 'Pyrica'

Post by Nate »

andrew

Re: 32-12 'Pyrica'

Post by andrew »

So that's what the finished product looks like. Snazzy. I like it.

Not so crazy about the stem. I think a little more saddle and a little less taper would fit better.

I like how the bowl appears to be two shapes pushed together.

Out of curiousity, what is the diameter of the shank?
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Yep, Andrew nailed it: snazzy is the word for it. Clearly a leader in the personality per gram category. Can't help but wonder what it would look like in a tuxedo.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I appreciate the attempt to think outside the box with the shaping on this one, but I don't think the Rhodesian-esque line around the bowl works. That may be because the line is more prominant on the back of the bowl than the front (inverse the directions for Tyler).

Obviously well made, that much is apparent. I'd be happy if I could make a pipe half as good as you. Do some more playing around this this shape. I think you might come up with something pretty cool after a couple of attempts.
Nate

Post by Nate »

andrew wrote:So that's what the finished product looks like. Snazzy. I like it.

Not so crazy about the stem. I think a little more saddle and a little less taper would fit better.

I like how the bowl appears to be two shapes pushed together.

Out of curiousity, what is the diameter of the shank?
Yessir! The stem's not meant to be a saddle, I just cut may taper too steep it would seem. Thanks Andrew!!
Forgot to mention diameter, sorry. It starts at .378 at the bowl and tapers to .375 at the band.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Hudson wrote:Yep, Andrew nailed it: snazzy is the word for it. Clearly a leader in the personality per gram category. Can't help but wonder what it would look like in a tuxedo.
Thanks Huds!! Yeah, it might look pretty nice in a tux!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ocelot55 wrote:I appreciate the attempt to think outside the box with the shaping on this one, but I don't think the Rhodesian-esque line around the bowl works. That may be because the line is more prominant on the back of the bowl than the front (inverse the directions for Tyler).

Obviously well made, that much is apparent. I'd be happy if I could make a pipe half as good as you. Do some more playing around this this shape. I think you might come up with something pretty cool after a couple of attempts.
Thanks Ocelot55!!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I will echo everyone else.very nice pipe Nate! Loving everything except the taper onthe bit. I have the same problem trying to get a straight taper. Some of mine end up with a concave "dip" towards the bit instead of a hard angle.
Nate

Post by Nate »

fuchi_jeg wrote:I will echo everyone else.very nice pipe Nate! Loving everything except the taper onthe bit. I have the same problem trying to get a straight taper. Some of mine end up with a concave "dip" towards the bit instead of a hard angle.
Boy, I gotta say I'm not a fan of the hard angle. You all may be correct, but I wouldn't want a hard straight angle on it. Ever tried holding a big steep hard angle in your teeth? Not comfortable. I realize you don't hold the section nearest the shank in your mouth (if you do, yer doin it wrong!) but you do the first .250" of the stem on the other side of the button (at least) and if it angles so steeply, it is just plain uncomfortable. I'll ask some of the pros, I might be an idiot.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nate wrote:
fuchi_jeg wrote:I will echo everyone else.very nice pipe Nate! Loving everything except the taper onthe bit. I have the same problem trying to get a straight taper. Some of mine end up with a concave "dip" towards the bit instead of a hard angle.
Boy, I gotta say I'm not a fan of the hard angle. You all may be correct, but I wouldn't want a hard straight angle on it. Ever tried holding a big steep hard angle in your teeth? Not comfortable. I realize you don't hold the section nearest the shank in your mouth (if you do, yer doin it wrong!) but you do the first .250" of the stem on the other side of the button (at least) and if it angles so steeply, it is just plain uncomfortable. I'll ask some of the pros, I might be an idiot.
I'll echo sentiment first: nice pipe!

Just to comment on holding a pipe in the mouth: for me personally, I probably hold .5" of the stem in my mouth because I have very pointy and long canines, so they can't help hold the pipe, only pierce the stem. As such, I have to clench with my molars which means I've always got more stem in my mouth. Not everyone does, but I imagine I'm not the only vampiric freak out there.

My 2 cents: give your customers plenty of room to stuff that stem in their mouth. You never know what someone might need in terms of clenching space and I'm a big fan of too much over too little.

But like I said, just my 2 cents! :D
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A pipe very different from what is your style. I think.
Best regards.
Félix

Un pipa muy diferente a lo que es tú estilo. Me parece.
Saludos.
Félix
Nate

Post by Nate »

maxmil wrote:A pipe very different from what is your style. I think.
Best regards.
Félix

Un pipa muy diferente a lo que es tú estilo. Me parece.
Saludos.
Félix
:D Thanks Félix!! It is a bit of a departure.

Gracias Félix! Es un poco de la salida.
Nate

Post by Nate »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Nate wrote:
I'll echo sentiment first: nice pipe!

Just to comment on holding a pipe in the mouth: for me personally, I probably hold .5" of the stem in my mouth because I have very pointy and long canines, so they can't help hold the pipe, only pierce the stem. As such, I have to clench with my molars which means I've always got more stem in my mouth. Not everyone does, but I imagine I'm not the only vampiric freak out there.

My 2 cents: give your customers plenty of room to stuff that stem in their mouth. You never know what someone might need in terms of clenching space and I'm a big fan of too much over too little.

But like I said, just my 2 cents! :D
I also hold the pipe in my molars as I have a gigundo overbite. :oops: I am going to review the high end makers I have looked at in the past (the ones I hope to be like or better than one day) and refresh my memory on their tapers. I may need to revisit my model. But I can tell you one thing about my bits/buttons, they're very comfortable. :D