My Second Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
achduliebe

My Second Pipe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Everybody,

I have finally finished my second pipe. I call it The Paneled Egg. It is rounded kind of like an egg, but all sides have a flat circular shaped area that is roughly the same size on all sides.

What do you think?

-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
RAY

Post by RAY »

Hey Bryan nice pipe you got there and the shape of it thats sweet awesome bro!! :)

Ray
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Thanks a million RAY. I hope to do this shape again, down the road after I have a couple more pipes under my belt. Hopefully with some better wood also, some without all of the bits in it.

I actually made this pipe for one of my brothers and will be giving it to him for Christmas. It will be hard to part with it.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

The shank/bowl transition looks especially crisp. That's something that can really set a pipe apart. Good work.

Todd
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Todd,

Thanks a bunch for your compliments, means a great deal to me.

Thanks,
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Bryan... WOW. great looking pipe. I agree with todd, the ultra-sharp transition is very nice. How long did this pipe take you? Upgrade your briar and that would be a seller! How do you feel you did with your inlay?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ben,

Thanks for the compliments. I am ashamed to say how long this pipe took me, but here you go...I started on it in July. Everything, with the exception of the drilling, was done by hand; including the inlay. As far as the inlay goes, lets just say that I have a LOT of room for improvement...not to mention that I need a lathe. The Tagua nut was hard to work with because there is a cavity/hollow area in the nut but the location varies so it is hard to get a good piece out of a nut that is big enough without any cracks or flaws.

Yeah, if I would have had a better piece of briar I would be even happier with the pipe. I did not have a lot to work with it was a very very small ebauchon.

Thanks again for the compliments Ben!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
stdly

Post by stdly »

Bryan,
Yes as was said good job. I like the shape alot nice lines it all came together very well.

I bought a couple of those Tagua nuts a while back, I cut one open and put it back in the junk box. I will have to take another look at it after seeing it on your pipe.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

That looks quite nice, achduliebe. It looks as though it would be comfortable (if slightly heavy) to "clench" as well as "grasp". I like the form: as Ben said, if you upgraded your briar, you'd have a definate seller there!

Your brother will certainly be very pleased!
marks

Post by marks »

That is a very nice pipe. If this is a surprise gift for your brother, he will be floored when he opens his present.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Damn skippy he will!

If my brother would get me pipes for Christmas, I'd be happy! As it is, I get computer games and socks.... I'd rather have books, a pipe and a cat. A couple of bottles of whisky wouldn't be missplaced either!

He's gonna love that!