Sea Horn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Sea Horn

Post by Growley »

This may be the ugliest pipe I've ever made, but in this case I wasn't trying to make it pretty. I wanted it to look like something you might pluck out of the deepest parts of the sea where the underwater volcanos shoot hot gasses and only the oddest creatures live.

Hmmmm...maybe I've been watching too much Discovery Channel lately :D

Anyway, here is my Sea Horn. It should probably be called a Sea Dublin, but that just doesn't fit.

Thanks for looking.

Brian.
Last edited by Growley on Tue May 22, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmolaw

Re: Sea Horn

Post by wmolaw »

Love it!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's gross.

Hope this helps.

Sas.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Sasquatch wrote:That's gross.

Hope this helps.

Sas.
LOL. It totally helps. Now I know I should take it outside, smash it to bits and burn those bits to ashes... and burn the ashes again just to be safe.

Thanks.

Brian.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I just did some spear fishing last week and this pipe definitely looks like something I would have seen there in the reef. Nice job, Brian. I always enjoy looking at your pipes, man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

Love the color, and the "bubbles"! Great pipe!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, Brian, let me tell you what I like and what I don't like. For starters, nice flow. The bit work also looks phenomenal. I really had to stare at that button for a while before I decided that it looked near perfect.

Now what I don't like. First, what is that indention on the rim? It seems out of place and doesn't look like natural plateau. Second, what's up with the little circular rustication marks on the stem and the shank? I think that if you wanted to rusticate in that fashion it should be the whole pipe or none at all. Just my 2 cents.

It definitely has an organic feel to it, which is good because I think that is what you were going for, and, judging by Sas' reaction, this is a pipe that does illicit an emotional response. That counts for a lot in my book.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Yeah, I knew this one would be about a 50/50 response. I'm not even sure what I think of it. I would have loved to have a perfect plateaux on the top, but the block had a major flaw so I "worked around it". I LOVE symmetry and consistency, so this pipe goes against a lot of what's built in me. It's a good exercise for me to make stuff like this that makes me lose the symmetry for a while.

The circles on the shank, I thought about making them go across the entire thing, but I wanted both smooth "petals" and rough shank. I gave it some thought and realized that nature isn't always one texture from top to bottom, and since I was trying to produce something "natural" it was ok to have both. Once again, this was a stretch for me.

I like hearing people's thoughts on it though. It's fun to see what people think of such a thing...

Brian.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Wow.
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

I would be proud to have that in my pipe rack. I think it's unique and amazing. Personally I really like the circles as it adds a bit more to the effect of the entire pipe. But to each their own :p
Alden

Post by Alden »

From the bottom it sort of reminds me of a horseshoe crab. Dont know why, I guess the way the plates of their shell move.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Edward wrote:From the bottom it sort of reminds me of a horseshoe crab. Dont know why, I guess the way the plates of their shell move.
I actually thought about that too. It reminded me of a lobster a bit when it was finished. I definitely want it to look like it could move, scrunch up. I almost called it "Crustacean" .
andrew

Post by andrew »

I really like this. It's an abomination and I don't care. If it weren't quite so bent I might call it a tube worm. There's a couple critters that hang out near volcanic vents that resemble this thing.
Growley

Post by Growley »

andrew wrote:I really like this. It's an abomination and I don't care. If it weren't quite so bent I might call it a tube worm. There's a couple critters that hang out near volcanic vents that resemble this thing.
That's exactly what I was thinking of when I made it. I also thought about "sea worm" but my wife killed that idea. I also thought about "crustacea" as it almost looks like a lobster sort of thing.

Maybe I should just make billiards so I know what to call them :D
andrew

Post by andrew »

Make both!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I'm glad you can get to whatever place that design came from. It is nearly impossible for me to pull that kind of thing off. Then again, I'm an engineer, so I'm lucky just to have a personality.
Growley

Post by Growley »

andrew wrote:I'm glad you can get to whatever place that design came from. It is nearly impossible for me to pull that kind of thing off. Then again, I'm an engineer, so I'm lucky just to have a personality.
LOL. So do you draw your pipes up in CAD? I'm more on the artistic side of life I guess, which helps in funky designs, but doesn't help when I'm trying to figure out how many millimeters to turn my lathe handle to get to the correct diameter on my tennons :banghead:
andrew

Post by andrew »

Naw, I'm not that bad :-) . I don't sketch as much as I used to. I usually just get an idea now and do a rough sketch so I don't forget what I'm trying to do halfway through the pipe.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

It's ALIVE!! It is unique. It's original. It's very creative. It really does seem to be capable of animation. And it only takes one buyer to make it a successful venture (but not me, sorry).

Sea Worm might be a little too literal; perhaps a proper name, maybe Harold or Ralph.

Still, congratulations on a terrific conversation starter. ("Is that a sea worm in your mouth or are you just glad to see me?")
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
taharris

Post by taharris »

I love it. It is original and well done.

And for the record I am an engineer and, yes, I draw my pipes up on CAD before making them. :wink:

Todd