Air Compressors Are Heavy

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Alden

Air Compressors Are Heavy

Post by Alden »

Well I done did it.... I found a smoking deal on an air compressor. Estate Sale buy, I paid $350 for a Champion 80 gallon, Two Stage 5 HP compressor. I pushed it to my trailer, me and 2 guys tilt it down, not too much hassle. Trailer it home, slide it halfway off the trailer... so far so good.. Tilt it down, base touching the ground, no problems..... get on the trailer and try to lift it upright.... now I have a problem.... I'm not just giving it all I got, but I'm 3/4ths there and this thing hasnt budged an inch....
I spend an hour trying this and that, finally decide I better give up before I rupture a disk.
My steal of a deal is still sitting on the trailer... Any ideas on getting it to an upright position ? I dont have heavy equipment, its gonna be a sore back and southern engineering.
d.huber

Re: Air Compressors Are Heavy

Post by d.huber »

Lol! You are the king of finding deals for sure, Ryan!

I'm not sure I can be helpful, because, being from Louisiana originally, I'd be likely to apply some "Southern Engineering" to the project.

I'd say get a handful of guys together to help you get it out and upright. Did they bail after you got it loaded up?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
sam a

Post by sam a »

Edward wrote: Any ideas on getting it to an upright position ?
call up a couple of your good buddies... they'll help you get it in an upright position :lol:
Alden

Post by Alden »

UberHuberMan wrote: Did they bail after you got it loaded up?
It was a bunch of old ladies running the sale... I conscripted a couple guys walking by when I was loading it.

Sam...... dammit boy...... You ain't right.........
You need BIG BUDDIES to help you move heavy stuff.
Alden

Post by Alden »

UberHuberMan wrote: You are the king of finding deals for sure, Ryan!
I bought a Craftsman 6 X 18 metal Lathe that runs like a top for $250 at the same sale.... And five Poulan Chainsaws. WTF do I need 5 chainsaws for ? They were $5 each if I took them all. Should get $50 apiece for them.
I could have spent $5,000 at this sale, and turned it into $10,000 easy and paid for the stuff I wanted too. 40 years worth of tools in 3 shops. But I spent everything I had, down to the change in my pockets. This is the kind of sale I dream about at night.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Unless you've got some friends you're going to have to apply some old school methods like levers, pulleys, ropes and so on. I'd help if I were there.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

unbolt the motor and compressor from the top and remove, upright the tank, use yer muscles to jerk and clean that bad boy up on top of the tank, remount the motor. Be extra careful not to relax your pooty pucker or else it will turn inside out. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Wayne wins Best Advice award for this thread :D
I figured out how to get it off the trailer with a comealong. I was just surprised there was something I couldn't move. I'm big enough and hard headed enough to think I can move anything that needs moving. Wasn't happening with this bad boy.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Edward wrote:Wayne wins Best Advice award for this thread :D
I figured out how to get it off the trailer with a comealong. I was just surprised there was something I couldn't move. I'm big enough and hard headed enough to think I can move anything that needs moving. Wasn't happening with this bad boy.
LOL, I think the same way... When my lathe came in I was DETERMINED and CERTAIN I could get it to my garage "without a dolly" and up onto my workbench "without friends, lifts, ropes or the like", just pure muscle. I got it uncrated, dragged it to my workbench and proceeded to lift it onto my workbench one side at a time. Mind you, the lathe weighs about 250 pounds and the space I have it in is tiny so there's no room either.

I must have strained and groaned for about 30 minutes before I put my pride away and let wisdom take over. I asked my neighbor for a hand, told him to take the LIGHT end :D and we lifted it up.

5 Years ago I would have hurt something, but I would have done it myself... Thank goodness for age and wisdom.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Edward wrote:Wayne wins Best Advice award for this thread :D

Don't ask where or how I learned this method. I think it may be posted somewhere on the forums. Had to do with something regarding thinking I could do it myself and being too stubborn to ask or wait for help. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sweet!

I have the same compressor in a horizontal tank configuration. (I presume yours has an R15 pump?) If it still runs well, you beat me on price. I paid $100, but I totally rebuilt it to the tune of about $450 more in parts. Mine's got a 1976 year model tag on it.

You know, I presume, that these are still made, so parts are readily available if you need. If you have any questions about it, give me a buzz. I'm quasi-knowledgable about this compressor since I took mine apart and put it back together.

Tyler

P.S. That compressor is $2400 new.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks Tyler. It was running fine before I moved it, so long as I didnt damage it I should be fine. I still need to build a pad and a roof over it and figure out wiring, so for now its just sitting in storage.
What cabinet do you use with yours ?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Cyclone e500
Alden

Post by Alden »

Any thoughts on the E-100 vs. the E-500 ?
The E-100 is a bit smaller unit that would fit a little easier into my tiny shop. I didnt want to buy it and then wish I had a larger cabinet later.
E-100 is about 18" deep, 22" wide, 14" tall
E-500 is about 18" deep, 27" wide, 18" tall
CFM is the same I guess ? 5CFM @ 90PSI vs. 5CFM @ 80-100PSI
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Edward wrote:Any thoughts on the E-100 vs. the E-500 ?
The E-100 is a bit smaller unit that would fit a little easier into my tiny shop. I didnt want to buy it and then wish I had a larger cabinet later.
E-100 is about 18" deep, 22" wide, 14" tall
E-500 is about 18" deep, 27" wide, 18" tall
CFM is the same I guess ? 5CFM @ 90PSI vs. 5CFM @ 80-100PSI

CFM is a gun issue, and that can be changed with nozzles. I've got a 14 CFM nozzle on mine. Extra and/or different sized nozzles are relatively cheap.

I have wondered if I should have gotten the e100. I can think of no advantages to the bigger cabinet for our purposes. I bought the bigger one because someone in a thread on this forum suggested it, but if you are tight on space I wouldn't hesitate to go with the smaller one. Be prepared to build a tall stand for it. My back hurts after a few minutes of blasting because I hunch over the cabinet on a normal-height bench. The smaller one would be even worse for that. I'm going to build a little platform for mine to sit on so I can blast more comfortably.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I have the e100 and it is more than enough for pipes. Like Tyler mentioned, I built a stand to bring it up to my height because time passes quickly when blasting and the back can get a little tweaked. My stand is also on wheels because I move the blaster outside so I am not standing right next to my compressor and because the sunlight is much nicer than the tiny bulb in the cabinet.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks guys. Kind of figured that was the case, but I cant afford a $200 mistake.....I cant afford $200 at all, now that I think about it... Might be a little bit before I'm blasting :D
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Edward wrote:Thanks guys. Kind of figured that was the case, but I cant afford a $200 mistake.....I cant afford $200 at all, now that I think about it... Might be a little bit before I'm blasting :D
Well, the good news is, saving up $200 to get the last piece of a high-quality blasting rig after a garage sale find is a heck of a lot better than needing to save up $2000 because you found a blasting cabinet at a garage sale!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a 100 and a 500, and it really doesn't make much difference to me - I'm only about 6 feet tall, and a standard height bench works fine for my purposes.

I would get both the 14 CFM jet and the 5 CFM - they both have their uses. Also be sure to get a good quality regulator if the compressor doesn't have one - full pressure from the compressor to the gun will destroy it in pretty short order.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com