"Delgado", my fourth pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Yarnspinner

"Delgado", my fourth pipe

Post by Yarnspinner »

My fourth pipe. Comments and critiques welcomed!

(removed image command)
Last edited by Yarnspinner on Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

WOW... according to the error message on Geocities you exceeded your data transfer and your webpage data will be available again in an hour! Post your pic on Tyler's website and it'll get noticed I guess.

Yarnspinner, post your pic in the Photo Gallery on Tyler's site for us to see.

Welcome to the forum! :D
Yarnspinner

Post by Yarnspinner »

Sorry about that.... I didn't even know Yahoo HAD a limit on transfers! :oops: LOL!

Anyway, both of my most recent pipes (12/14 and 12/18, "Cyclops" and "Delgado", respectively) are now posted in my photo album. I would have done that originally, but didn't know how. Sometimes it's best to take the time to figure it out from the beginning! :lol:
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
Yarnspinner

Post by Yarnspinner »

...and by the way--honesty in comments and critiques of my work is much appreciated. As Tyler mentioned in his announcement thread, I DO want to improve, so your honest opinions are asked.
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
marks

Post by marks »

Welcome, Mr. Yarnspinner. Glad to see you here, and glad to see you are continuing in your pipemaking.

It looks like the bug has bitten you as well. Now you have to explain you your better half about all those charges for tools, equipment, briar, and ebonite that will naturally follow. :)

Honest feedback: These look great for your first few pipes. IMHO, the shapes show a lot of imagination and the ability to bring out the grain of the briar in your designs.

In pipemaking, it's the details that make the difference.

Cyclops. The lines of the bowl seems to dissappear on the front of the pipe as you move down the bowl towards the shank. Sharper bowl, shank transition on this pipe would work wonders.

Delgado. From the side profile of the pipe, the lines on the bottom of the pipe appear to waver too sharply. A smoother line would help the flow. Shank bowl transition again appears to need work and sharpening (shank flares out too broadly as it moves towards the bowl). Shank stem junction looks like it could have used a little more attention. Symmetry on this pipe is good. In the profile photo, the line of the curve between the front and back of the bowl is the same and you did a very nice job here. This can be difficult to get right. On the shaping, I like the way you did two sides convex and two sides concave.

These are details that are difficult to master on your first few pipes, and will work themselves out with practice, repetition, and concentration. I know I really have to concentrate on a pipe to get them right (particularly the bowl shank transition).

Hope this helps, and hope that some others give you some good feedback. Looking forward to seeing your pipes at the TAPS show in April. Keep up the great work!
Yarnspinner

Post by Yarnspinner »

Thanks, Mark! The insight is much appreciated and you pointed out a couple things that I had not noticed.

Now the $64 question: Should I work on these things on these pipes...or keep these pipes as they are as my "don't do this" examples and apply the lessons to future pipes :?:

BTW...I'm hoping to get a workshop set up sometime in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future. Right now my workshop is my front porch on Mrs. Spinner's potting table...the sander get's brought out of the spare bedroom when I want to work on pipes. LOL!
Smoke Rings!

Yarnie
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Yarnie,

Quite impressive. I really like the Delgado, and frankly, I don't see any obvious things about it that I suggest you change. Let me assure you that is unusual! I can almost always pick out something.

On the Cyclops, the stem/bowl transition need definition. It looks a little clunky with the sudden widening as it gets to the bowl. It is a very impressive shape and use of the grain though.

Welcome to the group. Keep at it!

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

Yarnspinner wrote:
Now the $64 question: Should I work on these things on these pipes...or keep these pipes as they are as my "don't do this" examples and apply the lessons to future pipes :?:
I thought of doing the same things to my earlier pipes, but it was suggested that I leave them as is so I could go back and see the progress I make, should I make any, LOL. I'm now glad I kept them as is.