Just finished this one this afternoon

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Just finished this one this afternoon

Post by Growley »

I'm really loving this Romeo Briar! Such great grain to work with. It's funny, I go through stages of wondering why I make pipes, what good is it doing anybody?, even to the point where I start wondering what I could get for my tools. This happens quite frequently actually.

But it's when I'm putting the finishing wax on a piece of wood this beautiful that I remember why I do this, because it's fun to take a chunk of wood and try to make something beautiful out of it. (Sorry for waxing poetic. I'll try to only wax pipes from here on out.)

Anyway, take a look.

As always, thanks for looking.

Brian.
maxmil

Re: Just finished this one this afternoon

Post by maxmil »

I like that pipe.
Best regards.
Félix

Me gusta mucho esa pipa.
Saludos.
Félix
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Growley wrote: I go through stages of wondering why I make pipes, what good is it doing anybody?, even to the point where I start wondering what I could get for my tools. This happens quite frequently actually.
Don't you dare quit, Brian! If you do I will fly down to Alabamy and personally sucker punch you! :twak:

Seriously, your skills have come a long way. You have your own unique aesthetic that couldn't be replaced. This pipe is a perfect example. It just screams "HEY! I'M A GROWLEY PIPE!"

I'm really diggin the finish on this one: subdued but classy.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I have those moments too. I even took some time off. It's gems like this that make you remember "Oh yeah that's why I do it."

Very nice.

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Very nice work there! That Romeo Briar is certainly treating you well! :shock:
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

UberHuberMan wrote:Very nice work there! That Romeo Briar is certainly treating you well! :shock:
Thanks. Yeah, I've been really happy so far. 2 for 2! Some of them I'm going to have to get pretty creative with though. I got some interesting shapes in the bunch. All part of the fun!

Brian.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

brian

I'm liking what you got going on.. the only critique I have is the mouthpiece is way to thick as it tapers to the bit...

james
Growley

Post by Growley »

jogilli wrote:brian

I'm liking what you got going on.. the only critique I have is the mouthpiece is way to thick as it tapers to the bit...

james
Thanks James. Yeah there are two things going on with the taper. One it's a really short stem, so it has to taper faster, and two the pics make the pipe look much bigger than it is. It's only around 4". It's quite comfortable. I'm still working on the look of my stems...and have a long way to go.

Good luck at the show. I wish I were going.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Ocelot55 wrote:
Growley wrote: I go through stages of wondering why I make pipes, what good is it doing anybody?, even to the point where I start wondering what I could get for my tools. This happens quite frequently actually.
Don't you dare quit, Brian! If you do I will fly down to Alabamy and personally sucker punch you! :twak:

Seriously, your skills have come a long way. You have your own unique aesthetic that couldn't be replaced. This pipe is a perfect example. It just screams "HEY! I'M A GROWLEY PIPE!"

Your pipes definitely have something that says to me "Growley", there is a "suppleness" to them that I can pick out of a lineup...being that I own one...Im familiar with them...lol...

That grain is fab-u-lous...

I have too many of those days where I want to sell everything off...then I realize...I might actually have to buy pipes then!!!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Archer wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

Your pipes definitely have something that says to me "Growley", there is a "suppleness" to them that I can pick out of a lineup...being that I own one...Im familiar with them...lol...

That grain is fab-u-lous...

I have too many of those days where I want to sell everything off...then I realize...I might actually have to buy pipes then!!!
It's funny. I wouldn't think that I have anything that is particularly recognizable about my pipes yet. That could be a good thing or a bad thing LOL. I guess every artist has tendencies to do things particular ways which make each piece somewhat recognizable. Now that I think about it, there are several makers here who I know I could pick their pipes out of a crowd so to speak.

On a side note, It's a good thing I gave you that pipe when I did... I look back on it pretty fondly as being on of my favorite pipes I've made even still. I'm glad you got it though. I certainly don't "need" it.
Archer

Post by Archer »

It's funny. I wouldn't think that I have anything that is particularly recognizable about my pipes yet. That could be a good thing or a bad thing LOL. I guess every artist has tendencies to do things particular ways which make each piece somewhat recognizable. Now that I think about it, there are several makers here who I know I could pick their pipes out of a crowd so to speak.

On a side note, It's a good thing I gave you that pipe when I did... I look back on it pretty fondly as being on of my favorite pipes I've made even still. I'm glad you got it though. I certainly don't "need" it.[/quote]

Well I said I wouldn't part with it, still a smoker in my rotation and has a place on my rack! I actually had somebody ask me if it was a Tim West...FWIW.