12 - 06

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jos

12 - 06

Post by Jos »

Hi there,

here comes the next one:

A - bowl diameter: 40 mm
B - bowl height: 55 mm
C - length: 128 mm
D - tobacco chamber diameter: 22 mm
E - tobacco chamber height: 40 mm

Weight 79 g /2.8 oz., stem made of Juma.

Critique, please ...

Jens
Ocelot55

Re: 12 - 06

Post by Ocelot55 »

Very interesting, Jens. As I kept looking I couldn't help thinking I would like it better if the stem were thicker ans centered on the end of the shank. I am curious about the material you used. Please, keep us updated on how well it handles smoking and whether or not it keeps its bend.

Keep up the good work.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Jens,

As it's been said before, it's hard to fairly critique a pipe that doesn't follow a conventional shape. So I won't try. The only thing I would say as a critique has nothing to do with shape. The green on this one just isn't hitting me right.

Sorry I can't give you more feedback.

Brian.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I think this is a very interesting pipe. I like it. :)

If you brought the bottom ridge to more of a point and pulled the chin of the bowl in so that it created a continuous line to the shank, I think you'd have something truly beautiful. The stem is kinda neat, but I think that if the taper were more continuous it would be more harmonious with the composition. Also, I agree that the green feels a little weird on this pipe.

All that being said, I'll reiterate that it looks interesting and totally smokeable. One thing I love about it: the top line. That line has me staring. Nice job!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Please forgive this horrendous edit, but here's kind of what I'm suggesting.

http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Batchelor_of_Briar

Post by Batchelor_of_Briar »

As a newcomer to the forum and pipe making in general, I don't wan't to assume to have a valid opinion on your work - although I have noticed your pipes as I have trawled the various threads here. I have to say I'm a big fan of this, it is very unusual! I'd agree the colour is a bit strange, but perhaps it suits the character of the pipe. The more I look at it, the more it 'works' for me. My main bone of contention is the extremely weedy looking stem. The transition between stem and stummel is a bit jarring. Personally I'd like to see something a bit more chunky, although I like its current alignment to the shank. Great work and eye catching as always! I look forward to seeing more from you.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'm sorry, but this pipe just doesn't come together at all. It is disharmonious.

The stem to stummel proportions are absolutely awful. It needs a much larger stem or a much smaller stummel.

Rad
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi,

Thanks for your comments !

Ocelot,
I am curious about the material you used. Please, keep us updated on how well it handles smoking and whether or not it keeps its bend.
The Material works just fine. I'm actually not the first one to give it a try - german pipemaker Frank Stollenwerk used it several times.
Working it is quite like ebonite, it's easier to bend than acrylic,keeps the bend, keeps the polish, won't get yellow and smokes with no problems.

Batchelor, Rad,

I see your point - I'm actually more than a bit unfamiliar with that stem, too.
Guess I'll make a new one, probably something like this:

Jens