Crape Myrtle?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Gershom

Crape Myrtle?

Post by Gershom »

I have a ton of Crape Myrtle, and I have seen some online being used to make pipes, but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought of that idea before I went in depth with it.

It seems to be very tight grained, but I don't know about it's fire-resistance, or taste, or toxicity.

Let me know what you think!
Ocelot55

Re: Crape Myrtle?

Post by Ocelot55 »

After a very scientific excursion into Google I discovered that there are a metric crap ton of different varieties of Crape Myrtle. I do not know whether the properties pipemakers are after, ie nontoxic, heat resistant, fairly stable, differ from variety to variety. Maybe someone could be of more help if you were able to figure out exactly which type of Crape Myrtle you have.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thanks Ocelot. I believe that it is either Japanese or Common Crape Myrtle. However, Wiki says that it has lots of hybrids between the two. I know that the plant is toxic to humans if consumed, but it is also used in bowls and furniture. The question remains, "What will it do to me if I dry it, form it into a pipe, and then smoke tobacco in it?" I don't believe it would kill a man, but I also don't want to find out I was wrong.

Maybe I should just make the pipe and give it to someone else to try... Got any suggestions? :D
Alden

Post by Alden »

Gershom wrote: Got any suggestions?
Briar :)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Gershom wrote:Maybe I should just make the pipe and give it to someone else to try... Got any suggestions? :D
Sasquatch or Ernie.

You were asking for suggestions on who to give it to to try it weren't you? :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Yeah, I was meaning someone to give it to... Sorry for the confusion! :)

Wayne, I just browsed your website and I must say, that "Mad Hatter" is quite the pipe. I really like your sleek design, and I hope to one day do a full bent as well.