24-12 'Naja'

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

24-12 'Naja'

Post by Nate »

New blasted morta cobra with white acrylic stem.

http://www.natekingpipes.com/2012/03/24-12-naja/

Ocelot55

Re: 24-12 'Naja'

Post by Ocelot55 »

Hmmm....

I don't quite know what to think about this one. I like the bowl shape quite a bit, but the shank really bugs me. Shanks that are narrower toward the bowl can strike me as a bit awkward unless the execution is spot on, and to a certain extent the qualities are exaggerated.

IMHO, a shank that was slightly more exaggerated, ie a larger flare near the stem junction and a more deliberate 's' shape to the shank would have looked better.

Granted that's just my opinion. You've been at this a lot longer than I have. I guess my criticism boils down to an aesthetic judgment.

Still, good job. Morta was a perfect material for this one.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Very nice.
Best regards.
Félix

Muy bonita.
Saludos.
Félix
bornagainbriar

Post by bornagainbriar »

I love it, and I like that it is different in some technical areas. I really enjoy reading people's critiques of pipes, not because I like differing opinions necessarily, but that this field is so subjective. It is mechanical art, sculpture. Some people are Michelangelo or Rembrandt, some people are Salvidor Dali, or Picasso.

Personally, I think it is a great work.
"A pipe is a good thing for all men. For wise men, it gives them time to think and ponder. For a fool, it gives him something to shove in his mouth." - Unknown...
Charl

Post by Charl »

Like the placing of the shape in the block.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nicely executed! The shank kinda bugs me too. I want the top and bottom lines to flow together before transitioning into the bowl. Seeing this pipe from different angles, I get the impression that they might do that but for some reason this isn't showing up in the photos. This is one that might come across more clearly in person.

All that being said, I have crazy respect for the skill it took to execute this. The line that continues from the stem through the top of the shank is very interesting. Nice work!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks everyone! The grain placement did work out well! As for the shank, I goofed a bit and that's why it's fat in the center. I meant to have symmetrical lines top and bottom (or a slight taper rather) but the sanding disc got the better of me. Grrr... Oh well, will fix that on the next. :)
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hi Nate,
very nice work.
Best wishes
Tommi
my English is bad