Chicago 2012 ?

Discussions about pipe shows, pipe seminars, tobacco shows, trade shows, etc. All sizes, shapes, and countries.
Alden

Chicago 2012 ?

Post by Alden »

Well I just booked a flight to Chicago.
I've never been to a pipe show, really looking forward to it. Going to do it right, Tuesday night through Monday morning.
Does anyone know who is doing the pipemaking seminar this year ? Cant seem to find the info yet.
Chris Askwith told me he's not going, so I guess theres no hope now for meeting a classy pipemaker.
Which of you other woodmangling heatherns will be there ?
e Markle

Re: Chicago 2012 ?

Post by e Markle »

I'll be there... so still no hope for meeting a classy maker.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'll be there! Already signed up for the seminar too.

Brian Ruthenberg will be hosting and teaching and, if I'm not mistaken, Rad Davis and Alex Florov will also be instructing.

E-Mail Brian if you'd like to participate. It's my understanding that if you're a known pipemaker they won't take you this year.

Here's Brian's website: http://www.briarart.com/

Just click on "Contact Me" to shoot him an e-mail.

I hope to see you there! :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

Ernie, hope we can meet up at the show.
Uber, should have edited my original post, I figured out the details on the class. I'm sending payment today, so should see you there!
Are any of you staying at Pheasant Run ? I called to make reservations today and found out they want $75 PER DAY security deposit.... Tuesday through Monday means a $450 hold on my account on top of the $780 for the room... Thats pretty unbelievable to me. I'm seriously thinking about canceling it and staying down the road for half the price and no ridiculous hold on my spending money. Its no wonder they have problems getting people to stay there with policies like that. Plus I can get a smoking room somewhere else.
Where are you guys staying?
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

We just double up and split the room costs, but there's a Hampton Inn right across the road there. No idea what the price difference is though.

Yeah, we'll have to set aside a time to meet up if possible. If not, stop by my table and say hi!
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'll be there, so will wdteipen.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I am going to attempt it. Come by my table. I'll be the one with no business. :?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

NathanA wrote:I am going to attempt it. Come by my table. I'll be the one with no business. :?

HA!

A) That's funny
B) It's not true (your pipes have come a long way, fast)
C) I'll be there, hoping to avoid interacting with any of you miserable competitors
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nate wrote:I'll be there, so will wdteipen.

Yep, I'll be there.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I haven't booked a room yet, but I'm planning on staying at the Pheasant Run. At the last two CPCC meetings, we were told to encourage everyone to book at Pheasant Run because the resort is under new management and has given CPCC a room quota to meet. If the quota isn't met, CPCC has to pay the balance on rooms left unrented which could kill future shows given the loss CPCC would take.

It's not cheap so doubling up is the way to go. My girlfriend will be attending with me, so she's agreed to absorb half of the costs of the trip.

I look forward to meeting the lot of you in person! :)

-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

Cool! I'll be the 6"5" 300 lb Texan thats pestering all of you every chance I get.
Look forward to meeting some of you guys in person.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Edward wrote:Cool! I'll be the 6"5" 300 lb Texan thats pestering all of you every chance I get.
Look forward to meeting some of you guys in person.
Playing favorites there, Ed? ;)

I'll be the 6'2" Norwegian running around like a kid that just walked into a candy warehouse.

-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

Anyone want to room up ? I'll be there from Tuesday night until Monday morning. I have reservations for a double queen at the resort. I'm really laid back and easy to get along with.
If I dont find a room mate, I'll be moving to the Super 8 down the road for $55 a night. Hell if someone wants to room up there, the trip would be super cheap at $27.50 a night. Twin beds though.
Alden

Post by Alden »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Edward wrote: Look forward to meeting some of you guys in person.
Playing favorites there, Ed? ;)

Well obviously I have to say hello to Wayne. Doesn't mean I have to look forward to it.
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

I'm planning on attending, although due to work scheduling I can only make it one day. Which day should I pick?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Edward wrote: I called to make reservations today and found out they want $75 PER DAY security deposit.... Tuesday through Monday means a $450 hold on my account on top of the $780 for the room... Thats pretty unbelievable to me.
They made no mention of it when I made my reservation, and I've never had to make a security deposit when staying there. Are you sure about this?

Rad
Alden

Post by Alden »

RadDavis wrote:
Edward wrote: I called to make reservations today and found out they want $75 PER DAY security deposit.... Tuesday through Monday means a $450 hold on my account on top of the $780 for the room... Thats pretty unbelievable to me.
They made no mention of it when I made my reservation, and I've never had to make a security deposit when staying there. Are you sure about this?

Rad
I'm sure thats what they told me, not sure that it was right though.
I still have my reservations at the resort for now, but if I dont find a roommate I'll probably switch hotels. Its going to take all the cash I've got to make it to the show and back. Will be worth it though.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I know it costs me more to stay at the resort, but I consider it a donation to help keep the show there. They took my card number, but told me that there would be no charge or hold until I checked in. Told them I was there for the show. But I was able to negotiate better rates for the two nights prior to the actual show. Does not hurt to ask if you think you can get a better rate for other reasons. This way I do not have to get out in traffic. Everything I need is right there.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Carlos wrote:I know it costs me more to stay at the resort, but I consider it a donation to help keep the show there.
Hey I know what you mean. I'd do it if I could, but I'm already eating beans and rice to pay for the trip in a month. Its not really about wanting to help, but actually being able to go at all :D Its almost $450 difference for 6 nights. A roommate at the resort would save around $400 which is why I'm keeping my reservation there for now. Its looking tough to find someone else staying that many nights.
Anyone coming for the Pipemaking Seminar that wants to save $400 on the room ?