Crosby "Dolphin"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

Crosby "Dolphin"

Post by ArtGuy »

I call this one a Dolphin because in an abstract way it reminds me of the Dolphin pin my Dad has from when he was a submariner in the Navy.

It is kind of a little guy with a big mouth.

just under 5" long
1.5" tall bowl
7/8" tobacco chamber

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey John,

That is a beautiful pipe. I love the finish...very cool grain...very cool shape!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Another cool pipe big guy! And again with the half saddle. Been checking out Peter Heeschen's pipes lately?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Nick wrote:Another cool pipe big guy! And again with the half saddle. Been checking out Peter Heeschen's pipes lately?
Nah, again I liked the series of repeated arcs along the bottom of the bowl, top of the shank and the top of the stem. It adds more of a rhythm to the pipe than a taper would have and a full saddle would have stifled the movement of the eye as it scans across the pipe.

That and I know how much Tyler LOVES half saddle bits. :D
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

hey john, what color did you use on that finish (combo)??
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Fieblings Medium brown and Buckskin.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I keep looking at this pipe more and more and feel it needs a shank extension. I will post pics when I am done. Wish me luck this is going to be my first 8O
PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint »

Good luck with the extensions, though i think the pipe looks fine as is..
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

You know, after further review. I have decided to leave it as is and try an extention on another pipe as part of the initial design. I hate redoing work that is already at a finished state. And I don't like changing a design in mid stream like that. I will just make another and add another pipe to my cataloge.

It is a short guy about 4.75" (reason i considered the extention) but after some research have found that those proportions, though on the small side, are not unheard of. I will just call it a nose warmer.

It does have a 7/8" chamber that is about and inch deep so the bowl is deceptively large for such a small pipe.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I think that is a good call, John. There are plenty of fans of small pipes, and that pipe looks fine as is.

Tyler