Dust collector?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
HumblePipe

Dust collector?

Post by HumblePipe »

Hey everybody, I was just seeing what you guys have for a setup on a dust collector system and if you could recommend anything. Thanks!
Alden

Re: Dust collector?

Post by Alden »

I just searched Craigslist until I found a used 1HP unit for $100. That was what I decided was a good deal on used units, looks like they're all made by the same guys anyway.
Cant say from experience though, mine has not been used yet.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Here's a shot of mine in the far corner, and the two sanding motors in the foreground:

Here's the unit itself:

It's a 2HP 220V unit from Penn State Industries. Looks like thev're changed it a little since mine (the new version looks better). I've been using it about 4 months or so, and I'm very happy with it: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC2000B.html

Here's a shot of the collection box for one of the motors:

Connection to the sandblaster:

So far I've got it hooked up to the two motors, a combination belt/desk sander and to the blasting cabinet, and shop vac hose for general clean up. I've got PVC run to several other locations and I'll eventually get it hooked up to the bandsaw, figure something out for my main lathe, and a table saw not used for pipe making.

My duct work is less than ideal with the extra elbows, but it was the only way for me to fit it in that corner. It works surprisingly well.

Advice: buy the biggest unit you can afford and power. Run rigid (metal or PVC) ductwork to each collection point and only short relatively straight lengths of hose to finish the connections. Use Ys not Ts to branch off. And use the longer style elbows to make any corners. Long runs of PVC can generate static and be a dangerous fire hazard so you should use some sort of grounding system for it. Metal ductwork is safer, but a lot more expensive. So far I've not had any problems with mine, but I seem to remember Rad had an issue with his. I've got a remote switch so I can turn it on/off from anyplace in the shop, which is handy...

If you do some google searching you'll find all kinds of helpful design information... It really depends on how involved you want to get with it. A portable unit and a short length of flex hose to some sort of collector set up under your motor will get you started.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
andrew

Post by andrew »

Scott, I've got the same lamp that you have at the left of your last photo. :lol:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I use a large Craftsman shop vac. It works great but has to be moved around to the different tasks. It's an inexpensive way to start.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

The one that I have looks just like Sethiles. Mine is a 1 up 110 volt. I have it set up much the same way other than I have the collector in another room off my shop along with my air compressor. They can be very noisy for in shop use.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Guys, thanks so much this really helps a lot. Currently I am using a shop vac but I can tell it is starting to act funny which I think is because they are not really good for large amounts of wood dust as it messes up the filteration system in them. Scott, that is a great setup, I think I will be looking into something like what you have going there. Seriously, thanks everybody for the insight.
J
taharris

Post by taharris »

I use a shop vac with a small cyclone filter in line just before the shop vac.

It works like a charm and removes 95+% of the dust before it ever reaches the shop vac.

I have found it to be an inexpensive and effective system.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202101 ... ckets.aspx

Todd
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Very usefull topic, I'm trying to figure out what it's better for our style of shops cause fine dust from 320 and 400 grit is going everywhere in the shop.

I'm consindering buying something like this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod855540/

I've seen that the sell as an extra fine dust filter, is that necessary to buy this?
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Todd, that is a great idea thank you for sharing that with me. I actually may go that route.
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

taharris wrote:I use a shop vac with a small cyclone filter in line just before the shop vac.

It works like a charm and removes 95+% of the dust before it ever reaches the shop vac.

I have found it to be an inexpensive and effective system.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202101 ... ckets.aspx

Todd

Does this system capture fine dust?
taharris

Post by taharris »

HumblePipe, you're welcome.

Archaggelosmichail,

Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

Don't mind the duct tape. It is just because I'm too lazy to purchase a proper connector for my shop vac hose... :roll:

So, does it capture 100% of fine dust? No, but it is damn close!

And with a HEPA filter attachment on the shop vac it is a very good system for the low volume pipe maker.

Todd
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

At this point in my pipemaking I could have gotten by with a lot smaller unit than the 1hp double bag unit and spent less money. But I thought about it and since I was purchasing one thought I should get something I'd be able to grow into, rather than replace with something bigger later. Some day I'd like to have a sandblast cabinet and so, now will have the dust collector that will work with that.

The shop vac setup that ta harris has will work great for some shops and is a cheap alternative to a full blown dust collection system.

The good thing about the system like sethile and I have is that we can hook all our machines up to it and by just opening up a gate or shutting others, have maximum dust collection, thus cutting down on the biggest part of the dust in the shop. My biggest offender was the 10" disc sander I use to square my blocks and now with dust collection, hardly any dust at all escapes.
Pipe Maker in the Making!